Are you using a prefilter for automatic water changes? Which one?

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I recently read a post from ReefBuilders where he explains that prefilters are a must for any dosing pump pulling ‘live’ water. He shares that the filters should not have metallic components, which makes total sense. The article shows a picture of 3 models and a link to Amazon. So turns out that the one I got from the link has a metalic cap inside the filter :S and after a closer look it seems all the models in his picture have that metalic cap binding the paper filter.
Anyway, I hope anyone can recomend a model that works and doesn't have metalic components.
Thanks in advance!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean pre filter

I have fine mesh filter socks over all inputs and exits of the actual tubing for the Apex DOS water change system if that’s what you mean. To prevent anything entering and possibly blocking the tubes

OP
OP
M

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that sounds like a good option.
This is what they show in the article
inline-prefilter.jpg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an old masterflex peristaltic pump for my AWC and I have never used any kind of filter. Why would it be necessary? I've never had an issue with anything plugging my lines.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used a liter meter 3 for years for AWC. No prefilters and I don't use filter socks in my system. My alkatronic uses a prefilter so it’s probably a good idea with AWC but not necessary IMO.

OP
OP
M

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing auto water changes with Neptune DOS for a few months now. The manual gives instructions for "Tubing Placement with AWC" but doesn't mention filters at any point.
My tank is fairly new (9 months I think) and my sump was really clean until recently when it started growing tons of little pineapple sponges. When I read the article it made sense that stuff could grow on the 1/4 inch lines used by the DOS. I haven't seen anything myself but most of my tubing is opaque so I'm trying to learn the different approaches the community has for this. Great info so far. I think there is no bad advice. Everyones tanks and approaches are different so please keep commenting!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%

Back