Are Zoas Back??

kdino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been seeing a lot of Zoanthids popping up lately, are they trending again? Has the SPS bubble began to cool. Lets discuss!

DUMBO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a recent newcomer to the hobby Zoa’s are a lot more accessible and have enough diversity to attract collecting.

Sticks just aren’t advisable to newbies, but Zoa’s can be loved by everyone in the hobby, new and old.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
The zoa guy looks at an eraser sized nub of JF Home Wrecker and thinks "what the heck, these sps guys are crazy."
The stick guy loosk at a single polyp of JF ******* and says the same thing.
Both look at the shoom guy and agree he's a little "touched in the the head" to shell out big bucks for a coral with swollen vesicles.

Over the last decade, but especially in the last 5 years, people have gotten crazy with naming and branding. The ridiculous has led to some hobbyists shelling out huge bucks for just a name. In the same vein we're seeing colors and corals unimaginable back in the mid 90's when I entered the hobby. Having seen one trend after another it's hard to predict what's going to be the next hot coral. But zoas, colorful and forgiving, have enjoyed a solid fan base and, unlike sps, there seem to be far more new strains coming onto the market all the time.

Dragonreef202

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas are cool just because they're not to much of a hassle to care for. You can see similar zoas with different names and prices. It's just a preference to like a specific coral. Don't just get a coral because it's a new thing that's trending.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an SPS Dominat tank and refused to put Zoanthids in for some time, but I gave in and built a little zoa garden on my sand bed, and my Rose BTA has crashed the party and split 4 times....
Check this out...
7C6268D9-2ACD-47A9-A92D-E860A9E4E27A.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
kdino

kdino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas are cool just because they're not to much of a hassle to care for. You can see similar zoas with different names and prices. It's just a preference to like a specific coral. Don't just get a coral because it's a new thing that's trending.
couldn't agree more. Im all about color, not fad!

SteveO83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im all about color. Although Im just getting back in to the hobby after having to sell my last tank due to my job slowing in 2009. So Im alittle behind on things. But zoas, I have always loved their look and colors.

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe that zoas are necessary on the upward tend in popularity, I think that with all the equipment, tech and access to information a lot more people are deciding in jump into the reefing hobby. I have seen many people converting over from freshwater after years of keeping only freshwater.

Fat Sacs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been out of the hobby for a few years, crazy if zoas went out of popularity. I plan on throwing some in the 30.2 once it’s up and running

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With as many people as we have in the hobby now -- nothing is ever out. Everything is in, all the time.

I've gotta say, I've had more problems with zoas than anything. All I have is high end everything. Acros are easy. High end shrooms are easy. Zoas randomly melt, some melt when you cut them, some melt when they reach a certain size, some melt for no reason.

All corals are easy to care for. but the only one's I've ever had that randomly die are zoas. Not shrooms, not acros, not $500 nubs or colonies. But across the board, from $10 polyps to $300 polyps, I see zoas randomly die for people all the time.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back