Arm Coarse Media for reactor. What changed.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try and use natural media if you can. As long as Reborn is available, I would try and get it and even wait if you have to. Calcite is fine. This is where you check your local shops since they have will have stock sometimes... one of our local shops still has natural ARM on the shelves and is only a few bucks more than online.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before any hobbyist goes and uses straight dolomite, I will reiterate on of my key points about farms/shops not being the same as a hobbyist tank. While vendors move out a lot of water when they sell frags (as well as massive water changes), the high levels of magnesium probably do not have a chance to accumulate like they would in a hobbyist tank.

I took a trip down the man-made reactor media highway (AquaMedic) which was pure calcium carbonate. It had no strontium or magnesium (or other traces), so I had to use some Dolomite in with it. If I used too much Dolomite, the magnesium level would slowly rise in the tank and could have gotten dangerous.

In short, if you are not moving out water or watching your tanks as much as WWC, then don't try to be too much like them - study and learn, but understand that a hobbyist is not a retail shop.

Same experience, I don’t know how they are running thoes reactors completely full of dolemite, even with moving water in and out a lot.

I have always wanted to try the sand from deltec, I wonder if they even sell that anymore. Friends who ran that in a reactor had some amazing tanks.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use coarse crushed coral substrate too. That is what we used to use. This is better with a reverse flow reactor since it can get compacted pretty well as it melts.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have seen this in the past raising question on which is which. In turn I turned to Reborn by two little fishies which seems to be consistent. Although dolomite can be used, it does offer up and down results with PH and dissolves quicker.

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hoover around 6.38 to 6.42... 6.15 seems pretty low and when I went that low I did not notice a worthwhile improvement. what do you get when you keep it at 6.4 ?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6.15 to somebody can be the exact same as 6.4 or 6.6 to others. Please do not use readings from these low quality hobby grade instruments as absolutes across tanks.

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just filled my Ca+ reactor with both Reborn (the new less coarse stuff) and ARM Coarse and keep playing with the CO2 flow and drip rate. I had it putting out 40dkh @ pH 6.55 with 1 drip per second and a bubble a second, so turned down the Co2 to one bubble every ~2 seconds, but now it's at 20dKh @ pH 6.92. (the reactor is the MTC Pro-Cal)

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hoover around 6.38 to 6.42... 6.15 seems pretty low and when I went that low I did not notice a worthwhile improvement. what do you get when you keep it at 6.4 ?
I increased my effluent flow to 45ml per minute and the PH to 6.3 to 6.35. It wasn't keeping up with demand. The tank had dropped 0.7dkh after one day. Dropping back to down to 6.25

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back