ARM EC media - Am I missing something here?

robs.mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve long suspected my CA reactor isn’t doing much, tonight I confirmed it.

Tank: 75g shallow SPS frag
Reactor: Bubble Magus 150
Controller: Profilux 4
Feed pump: Versa (35ml/m)
PH: 6.3-6.4 in chamber (yes, you read that right)
Media: ARM Extra Course
Required tank DKH: 7.5

I’ve has this set up for a while and just got a Hanna Alk checker - effluent is 10.4!
I also run Kalkwasser for pH, and recently the Kalkwasser needed changing, my alk started dropping (I use a KH Guardian so could see it happening) I cranked up my CA reactor to compensate but it did sweet FA, so I decided to investigate.

Anyone else have any issues with this media? At that pH in the chamber this stuff should be liquid.

Am I missing something?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your alk stable in the tank?
I use this also and have an effluent of 14.4 and a tank alk at 8. It's about a 100 gallon system.
Edit: I run at 6.4 ph, 60 bpm and I think 45 mls per minute

OP
OP
robs.mark

robs.mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your alk stable in the tank?
I use this also and have an effluent of 14.4 and a tank alk at 8. It's about a 100 gallon system.
Edit: I run at 6.4 ph, 60 bpm and I think 45 mls per minute
I would attribute the alk stability to the addition of Kalkwasser via a stirrer and continual dripping. When the Kalkwasser in the chamber no longer becomes saturated the alk begins to drop. I don’t think that Ca effluent should be in the 10’s….

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct,
I would attribute the alk stability to the addition of Kalkwasser via a stirrer and continual dripping. When the Kalkwasser in the chamber no longer becomes saturated the alk begins to drop. I don’t think that Ca effluent should be in the 10’s….
Right, just trying to get an idea of how much your tank needs. If it was stable, you wouldn't be dropping. Are you trying to not use the Kalk?
What's your drip/effluent rate? Most people run the effluent in the 20's. As said, I'm in the 14's and I'm steady at alk 8.
You could either bump up the co2 drip rate or slow down the effluent to raise the alk of the effluent. The most important thing is to be stable.

OP
OP
robs.mark

robs.mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct,
Right, just trying to get an idea of how much your tank needs. If it was stable, you wouldn't be dropping. Are you trying to not use the Kalk?
What's your drip/effluent rate? Most people run the effluent in the 20's. As said, I'm in the 14's and I'm steady at alk 8.
You could either bump up the co2 drip rate or slow down the effluent to raise the alk of the effluent. The most important thing is to be stable.

OP
OP
robs.mark

robs.mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not trying not to use the Kalkwasser, I just don’t want to be relying on it. I feel like this reactor should easily be able to keep up with demand. The media hasn’t dropped in 12 months and with the effluent so low in DKH I’m guessing because it isn’t melting.

I dont think increasing the bubble rate would do anything? The pH in the reactor is 6.4 - the solenoid would just stop the C02 feed.

My effluent is running 35ml per minute.

Appreciate the help!

OP
OP
robs.mark

robs.mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not trying not to use the Kalkwasser, I just don’t want to be relying on it. I feel like this reactor should easily be able to keep up with demand. The media hasn’t dropped in 12 months and with the effluent so low in DKH I’m guessing because it isn’t melting.

I dont think increasing the bubble rate would do anything? The pH in the reactor is 6.4 - the solenoid would just stop the C02 feed.

My effluent is running 35ml per minute.

Appreciate the help!
I might try lowering the effluent down to 20ml/m and test the effluent again in 24 hours… perhaps the throughput is too high.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might try lowering the effluent down to 20ml/m and test the effluent again in 24 hours… perhaps the throughput is too high.
Have you calibrated the reactor meter lately? It may be off. I'm at 6.5/6.4 and in 6 months it goes down 6 inches of more. I have a different reactor. I'm also running a higher flow.
I would double check your calibration.

zheka757

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have 2 years of experience with calcium reactor, but first year I used arm media, and in year of using it, media only dropped 1" in my 9" diameter chamber. My second year I dumped these arm media and used 2 little fishes reborn media and in 7 month 90% of media was gone.

OP
OP
robs.mark

robs.mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you calibrated the reactor meter lately? It may be off. I'm at 6.5/6.4 and in 6 months it goes down 6 inches of more. I have a different reactor. I'm also running a higher flow.
I would double check your calibration.
I only have 2 years of experience with calcium reactor, but first year I used arm media, and in year of using it, media only dropped 1" in my 9" diameter chamber. My second year I dumped these arm media and used 2 little fishes reborn media and in 7 month 90% of media was gone.
I decided to give the reactor some love.
I pulled it to pieces and cleaned it, dumped half the media and replaced that with SeaChem Reef Reactor LG, and recalibrated the pH probe (was slightly out). I tested the effluent after a couple of hours and it’s 20dkh. I’ll test again in the morning, but things are looking much better.

Once again, thanks for all the assistance.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 37 35.2%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 18 17.1%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back