ArowanaLover1902's 10 gallon temporary reef

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I've run out of room in my 14 gallon, which really stinks. For this reason (but also because i simply want more aquariums and need room for the mandarin), I have been setting up a 30 gallon reef with a 25 gallon refugium. This tank is taking too long to set up though, and I haven't even started cycling it yet, on top of all this I need to cycle it for even longer than normal so as to establish a larger copepod population. Getting really tired of not buying corals (saw some really cool pipe organ coral and some awesome zoanthids today, had to resist), I bought a cheap little hang on filter that only has 45 GPH (which i didn't realize until too late), thankfully, I also had a much better aqueon quietflow 20, which does 125 gph. I am using the smaller one for chemical and mechanical filtration and the larger one for biological, it has some bioballs and another type of biological filtration, so it should work well, though I am thinking about switching up the medias between the filters, but I need some filter bags first (does anyone know how to DIY these things, I'm tired of buying them and never having enough). Running a really cool lighting system that has a built in timer, but I don't know the exact name, I'll just say it is made to light a reef tank and I know that it works because I bought it used from a friend. This tank (might) not be running for long, so I am not going to put a ton of effort into it, it won't be like the 14 gallon biocube, which is constantly monitored. If I do keep it after the 30 gallon is made it will probably be a frag tank. Haven't measured parameters yet because I'm pretty sure water should be good, 1/5 was from the biocube, so I'll at least shorten the cycling a little bit, also will probably ghost feed the tank 2-3 times, I would prefer the tank to be ready by next week and will be adding water from the biocube frequently.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey if it helps there are ways to instantly cycle and not have any ammonia spike and show up full of bacteria ready to go, every tank ive ever put online was a skip cycle only because of the types of rocks I used. dry rock starts wouldn't be...

people moving tanks among homes, or recovering from a broken tank where they needed an insta-start system appreciate that option. no harm with waiting either the typical weeks, but its nice to know with some purchases of seeding pods for refugiums, and starting with all cured live rock you can have a tank ready for full use within about 2 hours.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for filter bags I just use the cheap 25cent women stockings at Walmart, been using them for years.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.2%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 77 48.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back