Arrow Crab for Eunice Worm control?

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I've recently learned I have at least one, possibly two Eunice worms in my tank. They are fairly small right now. I've never seen more than their head area, but they could be a few inches long, they are fairly thin, like a larger bristle worm in thickness. I have an abundance of bristle worms, so I was going to pick up an Arrow crab anyway, but curious what the chances are of it dealing with a small Eunice worm?

I don't believe it's a bobbit worm, as I've seen no evidence of the freaky mandibles. Right now, all it has really done is create a lair out of sand, shells etc, it even dragged a small dead clam shell over on top of its lair. I'm unsure if there are multiple because I had previously only seen it near it's lair, but last night I spotted a Eunice worm in another rock. Looked identical in size so I'm just wondering if this guy is roaming around. Either way, I'm hoping these are the less problematic of the Eunice worms as I really can't get rid of such a big piece of live rock. It has all sorts of Zoas, leathers, some LPS all growing onto the rock itself.

Anyway, to sum it up - Thoughts on Arrow Crab dealing with a Eunice worm?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
following along. i recently lost my yellow wrasse and need something to hold me off until i get another. i have both bristle worms and eunice worms (what i assume are just very small bristle worms)

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crabs are opportunistic. Today an arrow crab might eat the worms. Tomorrow they might take a fishfish as it sleeps. They also might nibble on corral polyps.

Safest bet if trying to remove worms is a worm trap. Trap the worms dispose of them, no worries of if an added worm eater decides to switch its diet.

pandn1021

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept a couple arrow crabs over the years. They are really cool, only have about a year life span, I believe, and are the first thing people will see when looking at your tank they also grow fast and molt often. All that being said, they do go for worms of all kinds and really well I might add. Although that includes any and all feather duster worms including big decorative ones. As @Gareth Elliot mentioned they are opportunistic and will go after sleeping fish if they get a chance or tussle with inverts that just can't get away. I lost 2 emerald crabs a peppermint and a yellow watchman goby all within a year to my last one and decided to not keep them anymore. As far as corals, model citizen and never even looked their way. That's including softies, LPs, sps, clams, nems etc. Never bothered anything like that. Hope this helps Best of luck.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you say your not sure it’s a Eunice worm do you have a picture ? And I agree with the trapping idea .

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following along. i recently lost my yellow wrasse and need something to hold me off until i get another. i have both bristle worms and eunice worms (what i assume are just very small bristle worms)
No not like small bristle worms . They can get larger and take down fish . Google them and you will see something B rated sci fi movies are made from lol ! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: . I’ve had them and they are scary looking . Tremors is a movie that comes to mind !!

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I've recently learned I have at least one, possibly two Eunice worms in my tank. They are fairly small right now. I've never seen more than their head area, but they could be a few inches long, they are fairly thin, like a larger bristle worm in thickness. I have an abundance of bristle worms, so I was going to pick up an Arrow crab anyway, but curious what the chances are of it dealing with a small Eunice worm?

I don't believe it's a bobbit worm, as I've seen no evidence of the freaky mandibles. Right now, all it has really done is create a lair out of sand, shells etc, it even dragged a small dead clam shell over on top of its lair. I'm unsure if there are multiple because I had previously only seen it near it's lair, but last night I spotted a Eunice worm in another rock. Looked identical in size so I'm just wondering if this guy is roaming around. Either way, I'm hoping these are the less problematic of the Eunice worms as I really can't get rid of such a big piece of live rock. It has all sorts of Zoas, leathers, some LPS all growing onto the rock itself.

Anyway, to sum it up - Thoughts on Arrow Crab dealing with a Eunice worm?
Depending on the size of the worm a arrow crab could be on the menu

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you say your not sure it’s a Eunice worm do you have a picture ? And I agree with the trapping idea .
I don't have any pictures, I've only seen the head of them and can recognize the 5 antennae typical of the Eunice worms. As I mentioned, I don't think it's a Bobbit because I don't see the signature mandibles of a Bobbit worm.

In any case, I picked up an Arrow Crab from my LFS. He should have plenty of worms to eat, hopefully one of them is this Eunice worm.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
No not like small bristle worms . They can get larger and take down fish . Google them and you will see something B rated sci fi movies are made from lol ! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: . I’ve had them and they are scary looking . Tremors is a movie that comes to mind !!
i luckily don’t have bobbit worms. i definitely have bristle worms. i just assume eunice because of their size. the spines are too small to see but the color is exactly the same

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i luckily don’t have bobbit worms. i definitely have bristle worms. i just assume eunice because of their size. the spines are too small to see but the color is exactly the same
I have bristle worms and since I got a melanarus wrasse I’ve noticed a substantial reduction with in a month .

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of an arrow eating eunice in particular, but possible.

My guess is the arrow crab isn't going to actively hunt for it and find it soon, eunice tend to be really deep in the rocks and sand, arrows don't entirely get rid of bristleworms, they just thin them out cause they emerge quite often and there's so many of them there's no shortage of an arrow finding at least some while in the open.

If you identified two eunice, there's probably more but manual removal is your best option if there's really only two.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back