0   0   0
Awesome idea! It's going to look so great with my artificial fish... LOL
s-l300.jpg

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t say I’ve never used artificial decorations - indeed the rocks in my Malawi tank were all expensive artificial ones (better for less water displacement - needed as you had to overstock to minimise aggression). However, the reason I turned to marine aquaria was to replicate the natural beauty of the reef - seeing corals move in the water movement is a thing of beauty.
It was also a thing of scale - in my mind having a small fish swim around a ‘sunken object’ just didn’t look right but I appreciate that’s just my perspective on things.
I think if I was keeping a fish only tank I’d definitely look at the artificial pieces.
My rocks and sand are eco friendly which I prefer to concentrate on.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have done - it is no problem with artificial backgrounds from Back To Nature in a saltwater tank. In my late aquarium (2019 - 2016 ) and my new one (2016 -) I had used this type of backgrounds in order to hide my technical equipment.

Construction of my new aquaria - spring 2016

1586944527304.png

The result before start

1586944473290.png

Today - a week ago

1586944622892.png

IMO - It is not a question if it works with artificial decorations or not - it is a question if you want it or not

Sincerely Lasse

tony'stank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the natural look. However when I started my reef tanks I used artificial but realistic lookin corals and plants until my tanks matured. I then put the artificial coral in quarantine tank to make the fish more comfortable

DiZASTiX

Spikeasaurus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's to look realistic (not necessarily natural), why not put garbage (e.g., glass milk bottles and random things) not in excess, but in the style of something you might find at a public aquarium to advocate against trashing plastics)?

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's to look realistic (not necessarily natural), why not put garbage (e.g., glass milk bottles and random things) not in excess, but in the style of something you might find at a public aquarium to advocate against trashing plastics)?
Good idea! It breaks my heart to go diving a see plastic bottles and trash all over the place. I am all about keeping our oceans healthy and clean!

tuesdayd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others have said, I also prefer a more natural look. Plenty of caves and swim-throughs, places for fish to hide and not be seen.

Having said that, I did put a small TARDIS in the back corner. You just never know where The Doctor will find his way.

mucky1957

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started my tank about 7 years ago I thought it would be so cool to have an ornament in the tank. It would look good and act as a hiding place fro the fish. The truth is the purists of the hobby will tell you its naff and not the thing to do..and tbh after about 12mn I took it out and never went back to it/them. I liked watching the tv series Tanked..but always wondered how all the plastic would get cleaned because over time all the detritus sticks to the 'plants' and would make it look awful. Given the option of my before and after...I know which I prefer.
marine fish.JPG
tank tonight 3.jpg

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just posted a thread about this.

The people who make them are getting Really good!

1 coral.jpg 2 coral.jpg

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It‘s your tank you should do whatever your heart desires, as long as it’s reef safe materials. I prefer keeping it just rocks and live corals myself, but I see nothing wrong with doing what pleases you.

Personally if you are cleaning your artificial scenery I‘d be VERY wary of using any kind of dish detergent like Dawn soap, it’s really a recipe for disaster. It only takes a tiny amount of detergent to destroy an aquatic ecosystem, and once it‘s done, it’s done. A little elbow grease with a plastic bristle brush used exclusively for the aquarium is a much safer tactic in my opinion.

I’ll post my tank picture since we’re sharing here :)
D197C098-E4DE-4402-AD75-BACB93E4CE58.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back