Artificial Rock Brands

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking of doing an experiment to assess the porosity of different artificial rock products on the market; basically what I’m going to do is cut the rocks in half and look at the micropore network (or lack thereof) in the cross-section. For this, I need a list of all (or most) artificial rock brands. Here are the ones I know:
  • Marco
  • Caribsea
  • Real Reef
  • Aquaforest
  • Walt Smith
Can you guys add more to the list?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do caribsea, make sure to do the different kinds of dry rock they have, I used the south seas base rock though they also have the coraline color and pedestal rock

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, Rocks like Marcos are not artificial, They are quarried limestone (ex coral)
I used to be a blaster in Florida in my youth. If you want a ditch, sewer, water retention pond or anything six inches below the surface grade you have to blast it. I imagine this is where some if not all the rock is coming from.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there's an easier way to assess porosity but of you want to do it that way it'll be a learning experience as well!
Now that I think about it, @encrustingacro, you could also weigh the rocks beforehand, soak them in water then weigh them afterward, since 1 ml of water is roughly one gram, you can see how much water it absorbed

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I think about it, @encrustingacro, you could also weigh the rocks beforehand, soak them in water then weigh them afterward, since 1 ml of water is roughly one gram, you can see how much water it absorbed
Yes, exactly...there are even more ways...that's one of theost difficult he chose...

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@encrustingacro instead of testing porosity since I really haven't heard of people needing extra porosity if they use the intended rock for an aquarium, why not try testing something a little more difficult sich as the rate at which phosphates leach for each type? A lot of people seem to have trouble with that so it could be helpful.

OP
OP
encrustingacro

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, Rocks like Marcos are not artificial, They are quarried limestone (ex coral)
I used to be a blaster in Florida in my youth. If you want a ditch, sewer, water retention pond or anything six inches below the surface grade you have to blast it. I imagine this is where some if not all the rock is coming from.
I apologize for the misunderstanding; I meant non-ocean by artificial rock.

That is true, but I feel like it would be much cooler to cut the rock open and see the porosity for myself.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize for the misunderstanding; I meant non-ocean by artificial rock.
Well technically it was, at one point. Which is my point because it should be the same as ocean rock. Compared to actual man made rock using a process of some type of mixture. Nature made the Marcos rock. Just trying to clarify. I think it still should be included.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well technically it was, at one point. Which is my point because it should be the same as ocean rock. Compared to actual man made rock using a process of some type of mixture. Nature made the Marcos rock. Just trying to clarify. I think it still should be included.
Not to contradict this, but I think the Marco rock website states that only the shelf rock is naturally made

Edit: nevermind I was wrong, though I think it still should be included as it still is a dry rock

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to contradict this, but I think the Marco rock website states that only the shelf rock is naturally made

Edit: nevermind I was wrong, though I think it still should be included as it still is a dry rock
I totally think it should be included. I don’t know about the other brands, but with Marcos rocks you will have different densities. I know you will be upping your sample cost, maybe three different samples of each type of dry rock, with an average? IDK. It is not like you are writing a thesis paper on it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back