Mixing Station
Lugging buckets of water with a bad back was getting old so I decided it was time to set up a mixing station and AWC system in my garage. I got two 65g containers that my LFS ordered for me. The shipping to California was as expensive as the tanks. I still need to do a post on my Apex setup, but I wanted full automation between the mixing station and the tank. I added the following equipment to the mixing station:
2 - 65g vertical tanks with lids and bulkheads included
75' custom Apex cable to link the tank in the family room to the garage through the attic
Kill A Watt power strip
EB832
PM1 & ph probe
PM2 & salinity probe & temp probe
FMM
4 - Optical sensors
Neptune probe holder
BRS 6 stage 150g/day RODI unit with auto-flush valve
2 - Aquatec 1/4" 8800 RODI pump with auto-shutoff valve
Red, Blue & Black 1/4" RODI tubing
Stenner 100 DMP4 double head peristaltic pump (70 gal per day) for AWC
Reeflo Hammerhead/Barracuda Hybrid 6000/4590 GPH External Pump
4 - Cepex ball valves
4 - Uniseal bulkheads
1" Red PVC
Float valve for RODI tank
I built a stand with spigots high enough to fill up a 5 gallon bucket. With the stand in place it was easy to place the tanks on the stand and plumb to the Reeflo pump. I configured the Reeflo pump with the Barracuda head for 4590 GPH flow.
The RODI filter was installed with the input line Teeing off the coldwater from the utility sink and going into the Aquatec pump to create water pressure then to the 7 stage RODI unit. The waste water goes into the utility sink. During the summer I collect the waste water for watering my yard. The filtered water line goes to the RODI tank with a float valve. With the auto shutoff valve the pump stops when the float valve shuts off the flow.
By adjusting the ball valves the RODI water is pumped into the Salt tank. Switching the ball valves again the pump mixes the water in the salt tank.
For AWC the 1/4" tubing goes from the salt water tank in the garage to the Stenner pump then through the attic to the RSR 650 tank sump. The reverse is also true from the RSR 650 to the Stenner pump to the utility sink. The tubing lengths are identical and equal amounts of saltwater are exchanged with every turn of the Stenner pump. I've never had any issues with saltwater exchange, but I do test the salinity of the tank every week. Once a day the Reeflo pump turns on for 10 minutes to mix the saltwater before the AWC starts. The AWC runs for 70 minutes a day to exchange 1% of the tank volume. Optical sensors in the Salt tank in the garage turn off the AWC if the saltwater in the garage tank gets low. Also, optical sensors in the sump of my DT will override the AWC if low sump water is detected.
The other Aquatec pump (one on the right in the mixing station pic) pumps RODI water through the attic to the fresh water reservoir by the RSR 650. There are Neptune Apex optical sensors on the RSR 650 reservoir that sends a low water command to the Apex to turn on the RODI pump in the garage. The high water optical sensor sends a command to turn off the RODI pump. There is also a float valve and a solenoid valve on the tank reservoir for safety.
The PM1 and PM2 sense the PH and salinity in the saltwater tank.
I haven't had to carry buckets since setting up the AWC making the hobby so much more enjoyable. Also, the consistency with small daily water changes helps the tank be very stable.
