ASD MotherofGod

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this piece on the ASD site the other day. Really high price tag on the frags, but looks like a really unique coral. Maybe some kind of Echinata? Has anyone here purchased one of these? Living, growing, dead? On the edge of purchasing one for a growout. Curious to see what it turns

into..https://aquasd.com/collections/acro-frags/products/asd-122

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this piece on the ASD site the other day. Really high price tag on the frags, but looks like a really unique coral. Maybe some kind of Echinata? Has anyone here purchased one of these? Living, growing, dead? On the edge of purchasing one for a growout. Curious to see what it turns

Whatever it is, that is gorgeous! Not $250 to me gorgeous, but gorgeous nonetheless ;)

OP
OP
29bonsaireef

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever it is, that is gorgeous! Not $250 to me gorgeous, but gorgeous nonetheless ;)
That's how I feel.. I've got a weak spot for peachy colored corals, and the structure makes this stand out. Just not sure if it's worth the price. Or if there's already another coral like this in the hobby. Personally haven't seen one.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's how I feel.. I've got a weak spot for peachy colored corals, and the structure makes this stand out. Just not sure if it's worth the price. Or if there's already another coral like this in the hobby. Personally haven't seen one.
That pink peachy color is what drew me into the strawberry shortcake acros. I have one but it's not colored up and still waiting for it to start growing stalks....long story

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's a stunner! Does look kinda like an echinata. Would need to see a colony pic though. Hard to see growth structure on frags.

OP
OP
29bonsaireef

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree completely. That's why I posted. Trying to get some more info, if available.. Colony pic, species etc.. Emailed ASD but haven't got a response yet. I know a few have sold. Curious if anyone else had gotten some info from them on this piece.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like just another $20 Bali shortcake to me. I’ve seen many, renamed, Bali shortcake acroporas. To me, Zs prize, which is asking $300+, looks identical to my Bali shortcake that I got for $20 from my LFS.

Darn if I’m sick of this trend now.

OP
OP
29bonsaireef

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a photo of the largest frag I saw they had available. I can see how to colors look similar to BSC, but the structure looks more of an Echinata or Carduus IMO.

The pictures may have been doctored up a bit, which is why I'm weary.. but a cool looking coral from what can be seen in the photos.
ASD Mother Of God 1 - 350_zpsunogdzq0.jpg

Richard_Cheung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotten frags from asd and have not had a bad experience, but I find that they give their stuff unique names that I can't find anywhere else so it's a bit of a guess as to what you are buying.

I've just realized that the best policy with them is to ignore the name they give their corals and get them for their looks. Everything I've gotten from them had kept their color and look pretty close to their pictures. In my tank the frags look just look paler than their pictures, but the colors are the same. I don't know if they doctor their pictures per se, but their camera and perhaps the lenses they use definitely bring out the colors more than you would see with the naked eye.

I've also seen the corals live in their warehouse and they kept the same colors in my tank, but definitely not as colorful in their pictures.

maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those pictures are over saturated and photo shopped or they are using filters and a top of the range camera and lens.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those pictures are over saturated and photo shopped or they are using filters and a top of the range camera and lens.
I can’t comfirm what you’re suggesting but I bought several acros from them in the past and the colors didn’t look anything like the colors in their pictures.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a bunch of Acro frags(like 18)from them during there last live sale on here although nothing even close in price to the one your looking at. They all looked exactly like the pictures from the live sale pics. After a week or so a handful lost some of the pop they had but have all colored back up to the original pics and from when I 1st put them in the tank, in that time I only had 1 frag die and it was the cheapest of the bunch I bought. Based on that I would assume that what you get should be pretty close to what you see pictured but to be honest I couldn’t see paying 150$ or 200$ for that small frag. I would definitely ask to see what the mother colony looks like before you drop that kind of dime on a frag of it. That live sale was the 1st time I bought corals from them and found the prices on the frags I got where pretty cheap and very accurate in the pics compared to what I got from the only other live sale I participated in and it was from a very popular vendor on here. I would buy from them again without hesitation from just looking at there pics online.

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'll bump this up....does anyone have this growing well? I had some similar wild pieces of what I presume is the same species and I lost the orange ones but got the light green with sort of pink tips to live. Would like to trade captive grown frags.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just barely passed on this piece a number of times. Looks worth it if you have the money. I am curious if anyone is keeping it too. Awe is fragging it successfully it seems.
It’s defiantly nothing like a bali shortcake though, defiantly a unique piece and is photographed the same way all the other vendors do it, so we can’t hate on that, looks better than most pics I see really.
I used to love asd when they were getting more stuff but I haven’t seen a new piece there for a long time. Everything I got turned out to be really nice no matter the price it had.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid phone auto correct, meant ASD. Although I wonder if they have much of it left and how fast it’s growing for them. I remember when they first got it when Bali was still sending stuff over and I almost pulled the trigger.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back