OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i over did the garlic cloves in my home made frozen food and didnt realize until 1 month of heavy feeding it caused issues in my corals opening up. I moved most of the zoas back to QT and sure enough they bounced back

I am in a major cleaning mode in my tank and realize i need more turnover in my sump. I did a measurement and was slightly above 1X turnover. I removed the 3/4" seaswirl locline and closure to 2x turnover. Next i have to just remove the 1" seaswirl and run plumbing 1.5 straight up. I realize that velocity is not important when dealing with head pressure, water volume is key. Im going to order a new return pump. Same brand just one that goes to 6000 gph and at 12 feet head i figure i may get aroune 4x turnover. All my fish have grown more than 3 times and i notice the tank is foggy during the day bc of this lack of turnover

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s mine,

They grow fast.

740F9025-BB72-4894-9DA1-D88E5A9BC6AE.jpeg

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the bad picture, just cleaned the back glass and its hazy.

I didnt want to get the Orange shoulder. I purchased a hippo tang from a fellow hobbyist and he said he has some Orange shoulder for $50 bucks, I was planning on adding him to my older 120 gallon as only tang for algae and nutrients, endedup adding him last minute bc my gem tang was too big and aggressive and switched its place.

He needs a ton of food, creates a lot of waste, and with the speed in which it grows probably should be in a 1000gallon tank. He was maybe 2" in February of this year and now 8" and 1.5" thick!

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pellets just wont do it for these fish, they need chunks of meat so while I have to make frozen food blend, for now I just throw in chunks of Cod in the system and the fish devour it!

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you get yours to change? I have a yellow tang with mine and I think that’s the reason he isn’t changing colors.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed my jebao 36 watt UV for cleaning 2 week ago and just dont trust it anymore. It has black grutt coming out of it and i smelled burning when testing the bulb. I got it over 5 years ago and used it continuously for 4 years. Also dont like how the sleeve cant be removed for cleaning. I have not notice any negative effect with ich as fish are healthy. I do notice a ridiculous amount of algae growth. Like i can clean the glass and within few hours algae grows back.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The prices of named brand UV are insane and rather surprising to me. Ive been a longtime user of icecap and coralvue and outside of ecotech marine these are my go to companies. I found a 40w icecap UV on aquacave. The UV is build well and has good threads and abilitie to remove the sleeve for cleaning. It was around $300. Still not cheap but i have a lot to lose in this system and my 2 biggest fears are heater and UV failures.

20221017_104354.jpg

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed my jebao 36 watt UV for cleaning 2 week ago and just dont trust it anymore. It has black grutt coming out of it and i smelled burning when testing the bulb. I got it over 5 years ago and used it continuously for 4 years. Also dont like how the sleeve cant be removed for cleaning. I have not notice any negative effect with ich as fish are healthy. I do notice a ridiculous amount of algae growth. Like i can clean the glass and within few hours algae grows back.
That reminds me of that movie The Santa Clause where Tim Allen just gets done shaving and a moment later his beard is back again.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am patiently waiting for coraline algae.. i didnt add it bc i beleive it should be free. I added snails that had coraline on their shells.

Should i just add some coraline in a bottle? I prefer not so much coraline but some would be nice

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for fun uploaded a video of feeding some pellets to showcase the speed of my tang gang. I hate to see them eating each others poop so just decided to give them tons of flow and tons of algae, pellets, and frozen (6 pellet drops per day and frozen 3 times)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its ambitious but I believe i can have a SPS dominant 400gallon with only 2 internal propeller pumps (mp60s) and vectra l1 on a closed loop. When the tank gets filled in and only if needed i will add my seasweep with maybe a 5000gph pump. Also left the option to modify my closed loop

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back