Ash's 400 Gallon Reef

A year ago my nitrates were over 200 and after adding a nitrate destroyer reactor I've been able to get it down to 30 or so (I need to test to make sure it's not much lower!). Actually 40ppm isn't a bad value at all. I have the opposite problem with phosphates so I continue to use GFO to reduce them (also need to test again!).

I have typically had the same issue not being able to keep millepora... although I currently have 2 and they have been doing really well for a couple of months. Staying colorful and fuzzy! I really don't know why though. But I'm at the point where I will just keep whatever is doing well and not sweat the rest of it. I like the look of a smaller number of big colonies so whatever corals give me that reef will stay in my tank.
My phosphates drop because of the vodka dosing. I am dosing about 22ml per day and honestly I think i could create additional issues if I try to force the nitrates down. I think its the number of fish and how much I feed them. I have been ramping up my light intensity the last weeks and notice a big improvement. Especially on the bleeding tree which is starting to put out branches after 5 years of encrusting..maybe the next batch of corals will do better now that the tank is more established. But I hate that I cant even keep zoas..they are supposed to be bullet proof






20260915_205333.jpg
20260915_205429.jpg
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new