Asterina gibbosa

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
For as long as I could remember, even before owning a saltwater tank, I’ve wanted a starfish. I’ve always thought they’re such unique and fun creatures to watch, and would certainly not pass up an opportunity to own one.
Of course, I know how difficult it would be to keep something like a chocolate chip or blue lynkia star in a fluval 13.5. Fromias I read are hard to feed, and brittle stars I kinda think are...meh.
I never thought i would come back to looking into asterina stars, as they can be pests. Then I found a different asterina species, one that is not a common hitchhiker — Asterina gibbosa.
1604684234568.jpeg

Doing research into them, I found that they’re nothing like their hitchhiking cousin. For one thing, they don’t reproduce like crazy. For another, they eat diatoms algae, and I am in need of a good algae eater. Lastly, they’re more of real starfish, getting to about 2 inches rather than the 0.6 that the other species would get. Of course, this still isn’t a species of starfish one would find on liveaquaria or at their local Petco. Does anybody else know about these stars? If they’re not in fact pests like their relative, does anybody know where I could find one??

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If not an asterina star, are there any starfish (besides brittles) that are really hardy, small, and won’t eat corals??

Joshs_aquaticsw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
For as long as I could remember, even before owning a saltwater tank, I’ve wanted a starfish. I’ve always thought they’re such unique and fun creatures to watch, and would certainly not pass up an opportunity to own one.
Of course, I know how difficult it would be to keep something like a chocolate chip or blue lynkia star in a fluval 13.5. Fromias I read are hard to feed, and brittle stars I kinda think are...meh.
I never thought i would come back to looking into asterina stars, as they can be pests. Then I found a different asterina species, one that is not a common hitchhiker — Asterina gibbosa.
1604684234568.jpeg

Doing research into them, I found that they’re nothing like their hitchhiking cousin. For one thing, they don’t reproduce like crazy. For another, they eat diatoms algae, and I am in need of a good algae eater. Lastly, they’re more of real starfish, getting to about 2 inches rather than the 0.6 that the other species would get. Of course, this still isn’t a species of starfish one would find on liveaquaria or at their local Petco. Does anybody else know about these stars? If they’re not in fact pests like their relative, does anybody know where I could find one??
Hey man! I recently actually got these out of my local ocean here on Atlantic side of South Africa, so sadly don’t know where you could find, but they are abundant here and are really quite hardy, if you want to talk about it we can :) +27 64 014 8093 if you’d rather have my insta let me know:)

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man! I recently actually got these out of my local ocean here on Atlantic side of South Africa, so sadly don’t know where you could find, but they are abundant here and are really quite hardy, if you want to talk about it we can :) +27 64 014 8093 if you’d rather have my insta let me know:)
Wow! Didn’t expect to see a reply to this thread lol! Thank you so much!! I’ll definitely pm you at some point!
Also welcome to Reef2Reef!!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back