Asterina starfish

Bluebetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the tiniest, cutest little starfish on my tank wall today. I've been told it's likely a asterina pest starfish. It's so cute and just minding it's own business munching on coraline algea I think. Do I have to do anything? Can he stay? Popped up outta nowhere, maybe came in with my last batch of new sand 4 mo ago?

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had them in every tank I've had in the last 40 years. Sometimes just one and sometimes dozens at a time. Mine have always just eaten algae.

Other folks demonize the little critters as doing everything from eating coral to crawling out of the tank at night to howl at the moon.:eek:

Last edited:

DRoth335

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also had them in every tank I have had as well and view them as part of the clean up crew and a welcome addition.

I've heard there are some types that will eat coral but personally I think they get scapegoated for unexplained coral deaths far more frequently than actually occurs.

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would remove all specimens because they can reproduce EXTREMELY quickly. They can easily infest your tank, as they reproduce asexually. Some asterinas eat coral, but the vast majority found in the hobby are harmless grazers. They actually do a great job of cleaning, but it certainly comes with the visual downside of an over-run looking tank.

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had them get out of control rather quickly in my tank. About once every 4 - 6 weeks I use tweezers and a flashlght to pick them out in the mornings and evenings as the light cycle starts and finishes. They seem to be most active at this time. Usually over 2 to three days of manual removal it temporarily gets their numbers back in check. The first outbreak I removed 60 the first night. If I could eradicate them I would. I know that Harlequin Shrimps can eradicate Asterina but will starve after they have eaten them all. I hate them!

His & Hers. 240 Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
f47c83dc5618de20c3b4708020da1d8d.jpg
16581906550f83a85e3344eb52296a08.jpg
4a3d74b3decf4d2a4ae644999d41385b.jpg

Call it false demonizing or sound advice whichever you chose. There are many varieties of these astrina stars and the ones in my tank were without a doubt prolific zoa eaters, and they reproduce quickly. There was a point when I too thought they were cute but that quickly faded when I had to tear down my 240 galllon tank to eradicate them. Better safe than sorry I say. My suggestion would be to stab them with an icepick, burn them with fire then flush them!

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dam, that was some horrific pictures, but those do multiply like crazy. Most of the time i thought they were good like cleaning the glass and such but they do get plentiful and youll notice when u are picking 15-20 everytime you clean the tank.

Reeflife808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

Odd question, but didn’t know where else to post this really, but I am about to embark on trying to raise a batch of harlequin shrimps that should be hatching in a week in a half and was trying to look for a place to buy some asterina starfish. Unfortunately no one finds selling a pest profitable so was wondering if anyone here with the pest be willing to ship me some. I of course will cover freight and depending from where I guess, cause I live in Hawaii. Much Mahalos for anyone that could help.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back