Asterina starfish - gateway drug?

MariahP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny story for you all.
I went to my LFS this weekend to pick up some liverock for my now-cycling tank. Hilariously, my mom became instantly obsessed with a tiny lil asterina starfish on the glass. The guy at the LFS gave it to her for free in a little bag if it’s own(to go in MY tank ) and she was literally so excited.

So excited that when we got into the car she started asking me about keeping small reef tanks: what did it take, how big would it have to be, could she keep different kinds of starfish, what about snails and shrimp, etc.

Maybe I’ll make a reefer out of her all because of one tiny starfish!

p.s. she named it Thistle.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny story for you all.
I went to my LFS this weekend to pick up some liverock for my now-cycling tank. Hilariously, my mom became instantly obsessed with a tiny lil asterina starfish on the glass. The guy at the LFS gave it to her for free in a little bag if it’s own(to go in MY tank ) and she was literally so excited.

So excited that when we got into the car she started asking me about keeping small reef tanks: what did it take, how big would it have to be, could she keep different kinds of starfish, what about snails and shrimp, etc.

When it multiplies, name the other one Bramble!!!!

No, really, this is an adorable story, I dig it, but asterinas?!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny story for you all.

Haha, sounds like she may be interested in a pico tank, though the only starfish commonly available in the hobby that would be suitable are “Asterinas” (technically Aquilonastras, as Asterina is a different, typically predatory genus in the Asterinidae family). A number of different snails and a handful of shrimp (Sexy Shrimp, Bumblebee Shrimp, and “Green Lantern Shrimp,” to name a few) could be kept in a pico though, so if she only wants a small tank, she could still have a decent setup.

Edit: Micro Brittle Stars would work too (forgot to include them since they’re not technically starfish).

OP
OP
MariahP

MariahP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it multiplies, name the other one Bramble!!!!

No, really, this is an adorable story, I dig it, but asterinas?!
Lol I know. I didn’t have the heart to tell her we couldn’t put it in the tank. Im sure I may regret it later, but it was worth it to see her that happy.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an awesome story. Not quite the same but similar. My mom came over to look stuff over and when she looked at the tank in the bedroom that houses a beautiful CBB as the center piece she asks, what kind of fish is that it's pretty. I said a dalmatian molly :face-with-tears-of-joy:

OP
OP
MariahP

MariahP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an awesome story. Not quite the same but similar. My mom came over to look stuff over and when she looked at the tank in the bedroom that houses a beautiful CBB as the center piece she asks, what kind of fish is that it's pretty. I said a dalmatian molly :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Lolllll - it’s a good reminder to take pleasure in the small things!

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When friends come over and their kids look in my tank they inevitably find an Asterina (out of ALL the other cooler things in my tank!) crawling on the glass. I always pluck them off and let them hold and observe them in their hands with wide eyes and enthusiasm. Funny to think the pest is the one that gets all the attention!!

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its the same with me!! my mom and sister love the little asterinas! i always kill them with a coral dip and they are like"why did you do that? theyre so cute"

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 29 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 25 25.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back