OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet, once set, is a fast killer, 24-36hours.
Good for you for trying!
Keep that stuff away from anyone else.
Sorry for your loss.
Im very aware its fast, saw it whip out my whole tank in 24 hours when I first started… was awful!! Makes sense why she tanked so fast too overnight. I for sure tried, thought I could save her to be honest. And yeah I will keep that far away from my other fish. Theres about six to nine feet between my QT tank and my display. Going to drain the QT today and re set it for next time I need it I guess

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I came across a fish that needed some help. Me being me, of course I took her. Shes a fiji bi color foxface. Went to a LfS that isnt a usual one I visit, decided to go as this is where I got Ivar my jeweled eel!

Anyway, I saw this bi color in a tank all to herself. Looking at her I could tell she had a mild case of ich. The guy said she wasnt for sale because of the ich. He was telling me he started just recently and was trying to get the saltwater section back in order, the store is mostly freshwater and they specialize in chiclids mostly so none of them really have a clue about salt.

Back to my friend! So he was saying a few days ago he came into work and found her and a particularly nasty tempered purple tang (said the purple had been sold and brought back many times for its aggression) brawling with each other. He was surprised at how feisty the foxface was considering they are usually shy. He separated them. The fox had a nasty gash on her face. She has a small spot now thats still healing. He was saying he wasnt sure she would heal well but has. The tank he put her in was empty and he thought she would recover there. She then got ich. He did a FW dip thinking it was stress from the fight but turned out it was in the tank. He has no tank to put her in that isnt occupied. He was saying only way to clean the tank would be hydrogen peroxide and other vigorous and not exactly good for sick fish treatments with her in the tank. In talking with him I told him I had a QT set up and would be willing to take her on and try to get her well. He then called the store owner and they let him sell her to me for half price.

So in case yall didnt want to read my long post, long story short I have a new rescue to add to the family today! Very excited for her. :)

I appreciate the effort you put in.

Vjames

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I came across a fish that needed some help. Me being me, of course I took her. Shes a fiji bi color foxface. Went to a LfS that isnt a usual one I visit, decided to go as this is where I got Ivar my jeweled eel!

Anyway, I saw this bi color in a tank all to herself. Looking at her I could tell she had a mild case of ich. The guy said she wasnt for sale because of the ich. He was telling me he started just recently and was trying to get the saltwater section back in order, the store is mostly freshwater and they specialize in chiclids mostly so none of them really have a clue about salt.

Back to my friend! So he was saying a few days ago he came into work and found her and a particularly nasty tempered purple tang (said the purple had been sold and brought back many times for its aggression) brawling with each other. He was surprised at how feisty the foxface was considering they are usually shy. He separated them. The fox had a nasty gash on her face. She has a small spot now thats still healing. He was saying he wasnt sure she would heal well but has. The tank he put her in was empty and he thought she would recover there. She then got ich. He did a FW dip thinking it was stress from the fight but turned out it was in the tank. He has no tank to put her in that isnt occupied. He was saying only way to clean the tank would be hydrogen peroxide and other vigorous and not exactly good for sick fish treatments with her in the tank. In talking with him I told him I had a QT set up and would be willing to take her on and try to get her well. He then called the store owner and they let him sell her to me for half price.

So in case yall didnt want to read my long post, long story short I have a new rescue to add to the family today! Very excited for her. :)
You are a real hero! I am sure the fish is with someone who can bring it back to full health. Good Job!!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im very aware its fast, saw it whip out my whole tank in 24 hours when I first started… was awful!! Makes sense why she tanked so fast too overnight. I for sure tried, thought I could save her to be honest. And yeah I will keep that far away from my other fish. Theres about six to nine feet between my QT tank and my display. Going to drain the QT today and re set it for next time I need it I guess
Albeit it didn’t end successfully, Atleast you tried :)

That fish likely had a better death in your system than she would’ve in the LFS.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are a real hero! I am sure the fish is with someone who can bring it back to full health. Good Job!!
She passed this morning :( velvet Im thinking but thank you for the kind words. Ive got lots of rescue fish that have similar stories, always hurts when I cant help one :(

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the effort you put in.
Thank you. I love rescue fish. And rescue dogs, my two furballs were the biggest challenge Ive ever had! Always willing to try to save animals

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I love rescue fish. And rescue dogs, my two furballs were the biggest challenge Ive ever had! Always willing to try to save animals
That’s a great move to go with! If more of us attempted to save these animals fewer would likely end up in poor conditions long term.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a great move to go with! If more of us attempted to save these animals fewer would likely end up in poor conditions long term.
I agree. I just couldnt let the worker dose a s—- ton of hydrogen peroxide with her in the tank!
Good try. Always good to give a fish a chance even when unsuccessful.
Yeah thank you. Im glad I tried with her though. Just sucks to lose one

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Aww, good for you! Keep us posted please on how she does with her recovery! Sounds like she is in good hands at least.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aww, good for you! Keep us posted please on how she does with her recovery! Sounds like she is in good hands at least.
She passed this morning, I suspect velvet :(

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back