Clownfish injured from jumping

Silly clownfish

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 4, 2019
Messages
184
Reaction score
144
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My spotcintus clown jumped out this morning when my husband startled her awake at 5 am to fix a pump. He got her right back in the tank, but she apparently injuied herself pretty good hitting the hardwood floor. She has been lying on her side breathing hard all day. I have the lights off and she is the only fish in the tank.

Anything else I can do but give her time? Would an air stone to add more O2 in the tank help or make things worse?
 
Adding an airstone is never a bad idea, in my opinion, and certainly can't hurt.

In my experience, fish that jump out usually recover well if you get them back in the tank quickly, and it sounds like your husband did just that. The fall certainly could have injured the fish, but again, usually they recover from this, from what I've seen.

I think you're doing the right things; keep the lights low, maintain good water quality, and adding an airstone wouldn't hurt.

I'd suggest watching for any subsequent infections that may develop from an injury. If that does occur, that may need to be treated with an antibiotic. But hopefully it doesn't go there 🙂

The R2R #fishmedic may have further advice.

Good luck!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new