Asterinas need to go

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i transferred my frag tanks into my display while we are starting to renovate our basement (where the frag tanks were). I put some Zoas in the display, they all opened and were fine. Then I started noticing polyps closed and not open. The asterinas are eating my zoas!

Not a total shock since I've read this before.

What are my options for keeping these things at bay? I don't need them totally eradicated, just to manageable level.

shakygator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My theory on this is they usually only do this when they are short on a food supply. If they have nothing else to eat, they may start eating your corals. When I start noticing their population numbers getting higher I usually make it a point to begin culling them. I get a small tupperware and some tweezers and pull out every one I can find. I do this for a few days until I feel like I made a dent in population numbers.

I've gone the harlequin route, which is super effective - but I have some large brittle stars I don't want to become dinner now.

OP
OP
P

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My theory on this is they usually only do this when they are short on a food supply. If they have nothing else to eat, they may start eating your corals. When I start noticing their population numbers getting higher I usually make it a point to begin culling them. I get a small tupperware and some tweezers and pull out every one I can find. I do this for a few days until I feel like I made a dent in population numbers.
Maybe your theory is right. What do they feed on? Because I have plenty of detritus and extra food in the tank

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back