OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m liking this design, I’m getting my new tank (used tank) this week and I want to do a better job with the sump.

Any chance you can do a drawing of your plumbing? The pictures are mostly followable but there are a few lines that are hard to see.

Thank you and amazing job!
Thanks! appreciate it :)
Here's a schematic-

Manifold.jpg

Last edited:

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked them up at: https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/accessories/pipe-support/straps.html
No issues with noise or vibration. That will of course depend on you return pump. I am using a Cor-20 and it is extremely quiet. I do not have a UV sterilizer and frankly the ones that actually work or do anything would never fit under my stand. The export pipe has a couple purposes. Mainly it is a way to clean the sump. I have a barb connector with some vinyl hosing on it that i can connect up to it or alternatively I also have a piece of PVC that I can connect to it as well. When I close the return valve and open this export pipes valve the water recirculates into the sump. If you look at my video link above, this is how I tested my manifold for leaks. To clean the sump I just redirect the outflow to the first chamber or use the vinyl hose to stir things up. I let it run like this for an hour or so through a 100 micro sock which keeps the sump clean.

In an emergency I might be able to use it to feed another canister or possible a UV apparatus, but I am mainly using it as a mechanism to clean the sump.

Perfect, I'm anal and was thinking that it would make a great way to keep things tidy. I ordered an extra valve for it. Thanks!

OP
OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...so I've run into a glitch. Feeding the Pax Bellum off of the reactor outflow is not working well. I first encountered leaks at the Aquamaxx outflow connector with the @pelphrey o-ring fix. I redid this a couple times and finally ended up reenforcing with some silicon. That seemed to work, so I ran it over night with a flow of 190 gph (Pax bellum recommends 150-250) and this morning the inflow O-ring area was leaking. I'm going to try to silicon that connection site as well.

The problem seems to be that with the outflow traveling through the Pax bellum from bottom to top and then back out (needs to be this way because the Chaeto growth will generate O2) it is pressurizing the Aquamaxx. The pressure is too much for the o-ring fix. It works fine if you are just dumping the outflow back into the sump.

I've been giving this some thought- options:

1. Try Silicon on new leak site and keep flow closer to 150 and hope for the best?
2. Remove the Canister and simply connect the Pax Bellum directly to the gate valve. I am not sure I am ever going to run two reactors so this might be the solution. I am only planning on running carbon and should not need to use GFO if the Cheato does its job.
3. Plumb the Pax Bellum to my recirculating line with some tubing. Don't really like this- ugly!
4. Use a separate pump to feed the Pax Bellum, but I don't want anymore electrical cords, and finding a quiet simple low flow pump to feed it will be difficult.

I welcome any thoughts and comments.
Thanks!

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...so I've run into a glitch. Feeding the Pax Bellum off of the reactor outflow is not working well. I first encountered leaks at the Aquamaxx outflow connector with the @pelphrey o-ring fix. I redid this a couple times and finally ended up reenforcing with some silicon. That seemed to work, so I ran it over night with a flow of 190 gph (Pax bellum recommends 150-250) and this morning the inflow O-ring area was leaking. I'm going to try to silicon that connection site as well.

The problem seems to be that with the outflow traveling through the Pax bellum from bottom to top and then back out (needs to be this way because the Chaeto growth will generate O2) it is pressurizing the Aquamaxx. The pressure is too much for the o-ring fix. It works fine if you are just dumping the outflow back into the sump.

I've been giving this some thought- options:

1. Try Silicon on new leak site and keep flow closer to 150 and hope for the best?
2. Remove the Canister and simply connect the Pax Bellum directly to the gate valve. I am not sure I am ever going to run two reactors so this might be the solution. I am only planning on running carbon and should not need to use GFO if the Cheato does its job.
3. Plumb the Pax Bellum to my recirculating line with some tubing. Don't really like this- ugly!
4. Use a separate pump to feed the Pax Bellum, but I don't want anymore electrical cords, and finding a quiet simple low flow pump to feed it will be difficult.

I welcome any thoughts and comments.
Thanks!

Sorry to feast off your hardship but this is why I watch. Beauty and the beast comes to mind in your case. It seems a compromise is at hand. The one thing I've found while designing my current layout is I'm either going to have a showpiece or a functional system. I've had to leave a few cooling looking ideas out and be realistic. Once the newness wears off and the cool factor subsides is it necessary? The answer you already know is 2. But what do I know!

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to feast off your hardship but this is why I watch. Beauty and the beast comes to mind in your case. It seems a compromise is at hand. The one thing I've found while designing my current layout is I'm either going to have a showpiece or a functional system. I've had to leave a few cooling looking ideas out and be realistic. Once the newness wears off and the cool factor subsides is it necessary? The answer you already know is 2. But what do I know!

Cool not cooling, sorry.

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked them up at: https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/accessories/pipe-support/straps.html
No issues with noise or vibration. That will of course depend on you return pump. I am using a Cor-20 and it is extremely quiet. I do not have a UV sterilizer and frankly the ones that actually work or do anything would never fit under my stand. The export pipe has a couple purposes. Mainly it is a way to clean the sump. I have a barb connector with some vinyl hosing on it that i can connect up to it or alternatively I also have a piece of PVC that I can connect to it as well. When I close the return valve and open this export pipes valve the water recirculates into the sump. If you look at my video link above, this is how I tested my manifold for leaks. To clean the sump I just redirect the outflow to the first chamber or use the vinyl hose to stir things up. I let it run like this for an hour or so through a 100 micro sock which keeps the sump clean.

In an emergency I might be able to use it to feed another canister or possible a UV apparatus, but I am mainly using it as a mechanism to clean the sump.

Thanks, I've come a long way toward getting started after all the help here. I'm level now and my tank doesn't leak so off to a good start. All remaining parts come today and the weekend is dedicated to plumbing it all in. Wish me luck, lol! Thanks!

OP
OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. I managed to fix the canister leak with a little silicon and o-ring. Ran it at 150 gph for 2 days and all good.

Also received my Giesemann Stellar. It’s basically the Gemini without the leds. You place the LED of your choice in the brackets. I’m using it with radions. Definitely a nice quality fixture. I much prefer the finish and construction over the aquatic life version.

Its not perfect but overall good. I wrote a review for it on a separate thread-

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/an-honest-review-of-the-giesemann-stellar.417690/

d49692ba978668039cdf2e93565cfecc.jpg

IMG_8661.JPG

Last edited:

brett98xj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the flow you're seeing out of that Cor? And I may have missed it, but is it a 15 or 20?

OP
OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the flow you're seeing out of that Cor? And I may have missed it, but is it a 15 or 20?

Hi its the Cor-20. I have not run it through the DT yet as I am still in the midst of the build. When I run it in the recirculation mode through my sump with both canisters and the Pax Bellum open I am seeing flows in the 900-1000 gph range. I can get it higher if I close down the reactors and pax bellum. Mind you plumbing is 1 inch but decreases to 1/2 inch at the recirculation outflow and 1/2 inch at the reactors. I think the flow will be higher when it runs full 1 inch to the DT. Will have to see when I get to that point.

Last edited:

brett98xj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi its the Car-20. I have not run it through the DT yet as I am still in the midst of the build. When I run it in the recirculation mode through my sump with both canisters and the Pax Bellum open I am seeing flows in the 900-1000 gph range. I can get it higher if I close down the reactors and pax bellum. Mind you plumbing is 1 inch but decreases to 1/2 inch at the recirculation outflow and 1/2 inch at the reactors. I think the flow will be higher when it runs full 1 inch to the DT. Will have to see when I get to that point.

The Red Sea returns completely neutered mine. I'm 1" to the Red Sea return where it essentially cuts down to below 3/4". I'm seeing about 460 GPH at 100% :-/

OP
OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea returns completely neutered mine. I'm 1" to the Red Sea return where it essentially cuts down to below 3/4". I'm seeing about 460 GPH at 100% :-/
yikes! That worries me....I forgot that the returns inside the overflow box are 3/4 :(
With the added head and the U turn I may be down in that range as well. May need to start saving the pennies for an abyzz!!

brett98xj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yikes! That worries me....I forgot that the returns inside the overflow box are 3/4 :(
With the added head and the U turn I may be down in that range as well. May need to start saving the pennies for an abyzz!!

Haha that's an expensive fix. The flow for my 350 is still enough, but I would just like to not have to run a pump at 100%.

I love the Reefer tanks, what they offer, except for the included plumbing. Next tank will be drilled with a ghost overflow and use whatever plumbing I want haha

offtropic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I like the build you have going here - I am putting together something a little similar with a 425xl and I am sort of stuck waiting for a pax bellum 18 to show up in inventory somewhere (been almost a month with no luck). I like the paint/vinyl/plastidip color scheme for the sump. I did something similar but just want white everywhere (plastidip). Couple questions:

1. Are you worried about the Pax sitting on the bottom of the sump? The documentation says to not get the top wet so while I was planning something similar to what you have I'm a little nervous about it.

2. In what ways do you use the return/recycle pipe to clean the sump? This looks elegant but I'm trying to figure out if I'd use it (edit: never mind - saw you explained it!).

OP
OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I like the build you have going here - I am putting together something a little similar with a 425xl and I am sort of stuck waiting for a pax bellum 18 to show up in inventory somewhere (been almost a month with no luck). I like the paint/vinyl/plastidip color scheme for the sump. I did something similar but just want white everywhere (plastidip). Couple questions:

1. Are you worried about the Pax sitting on the bottom of the sump? The documentation says to not get the top wet so while I was planning something similar to what you have I'm a little nervous about it.

2. In what ways do you use the return/recycle pipe to clean the sump? This looks elegant but I'm trying to figure out if I'd use it (edit: never mind - saw you explained it!).

No problems at all with the Pax Bellum. The top stays nice and dry- the flow through the sump is pretty gentle. Even when I was recirculating at full power ( you can see it in the video) the top never got near water.

I use the recirculation two ways. I have a barbed connector on the bottom of a 1/2 inch slip union which I can connect to the outflow on the right, I also have a drain pipe I made with 45 degree fixtures similar to the emergency drain pipe that connects there as well. When I want to clean the sump- I turn off the return to the DT using the large ball valve you see at the "U" and open the 1/2 inch ball valve on the right to the recirc pipe. I use the barb connector with vinyl tubing to blow things around and get it all stirred up, then switch to the other mentioned pipe which will redirect the flow back to the sock chambers and let it run this way for an hour or so. All the debris will get filtered by the socks and when I am done, I simply turn off the recirculation valve and re-open to the DT, change my socks and done.

Hope this helps

Azil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do. You recommend running dual returns to compromise on the lack Of return flow?

OP
OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do. You recommend running dual returns to compromise on the lack Of return flow?
...not sure yet. Until I get my system up and running I will not know what type of flow I am getting to the DT. I personally only want flow in the DT around 600 to 800 so depending on your pump, one may suffice. I just don't like the clutter of two pumps.

ADDENDUM- TWO RETURNS WOULD BE NICE AND THE REDUNDANCY IS ALWAYS GOOD. I STAYED WITH MY ONE COR-20. I CAN GET FLOWS OF 500+ PER HOUR AT 68%. THIS IS MORE THAN ENOUGH AND ABOUT 4X TURNOVER.

Last edited:

offtropic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...not sure yet. Until I get my system up and running I will not know what type of flow I am getting to the DT. I personally only want flow in the DT around 600 to 800 so depending on your pump, one may suffice. I just don't like the clutter of two pumps.
Yeah I'm looking at the manifold I've come up with and I'm not sure what sort of return flow I will generate with the Cor-20 (I do have the neptune flow sensor right before the return to the DT). As I'm not comfortable without some form of redundancy I want another pump anyways and I hate to just have it sitting around doing nothing. Right now playing with the idea of running a lower capacity pump (maybe a cor15) that feeds a UV sterilizer. But, yeah, struggling with how not to make it cluttered or hard to work in the sump area.

OP
OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...a little more progress: I got my final sump lights mounted and hooked up to the apex. Can dial in any color under the rainbow or all white when I need to work. Wife wants them to glow red at night for a few hours so I programed the apex to come on at 8pm and shut off at 10pm for a nice mood light! lol
Here's some pictures- colors aren't showing up that well with the iPhone, will need to pull out the real camera another time.
Also got my switches to setup with my breakout box and electrical side of the display.
Ordered some Marco rock and reef cleaner rock to play with and see if I start putting something together in the basement. Once I get my aquascape mapped out and all the rocks labeled, I'm going to get them wet and seed with some of my live rock and let them cook for a few months while I finish the build.

IMG_8608 2.jpg
IMG_8610 2.jpg
IMG_8606.JPG
IMG_8612.JPG

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back