At my wits end

Yumme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I've had my TMC 144L tank set up for 10 months - firstly, a bit about my tank.

Here is the kit I bought with the tank, all equipment is TMC branded:
1687111419240.png

Livestock as of 2 weeks ago:

Fish & inverts
2 x perc clowns
1 x royal gramma
1 x bangai cardinal
1 x watchman goby
1 x pistol shrimp
1 x fire shrimp
2 x cleaner shrimp
1 x emerald crab
1 x tuxedo urchin
several hermits, snails, etc

Corals
1 x zoa
1 x GSP

This past week, the pistol, fire, and cleaner disappeared for a few days and wound up dead. Gramma is also now on his last legs (swimming sideways + hiding in rock).

LFS has tested water parameters, all are well except for mag being a little high and nitrates ~50ppm, they have been permanently stuck at this for the past 3 months. There has been a flatworm infestation for the past month. Dosed flatworm RX each week for past 3 weeks, with 50% water changes + activated carbon. Have dosed again this evening, with another 50% WC + dipped coral/rock. Tested after WC, nitrates still sitting ~50ppm. Test kit is Red Sea Algae Control Pro.

Bought coral mentioned above ~6 months ago, no growth whatsoever and have receded if anything. Rock is still practically bare.

LFS have recommended sending off an ICP test to identify the problem. Was just wondering if anyone here has had a similar experience, or could offer some advice before sending off the test. Finding it very hard to enjoy the hobby when the tank looks so sad all the time, and even more so due to losing 3 of my beloved inverts.

1687113032991.png

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you can please list ALL parameters and the specific values. Obviously there is something wrong if fish are dying, it may not be related to water quality, but without the details we wont know. Lets eliminate water quality so we can talk about other possibly causes.

Some other thoughts:

what type of filtration are you running? I see a skimmer included in the package you purchased, but what else? Sump?

what are the specs of the light? it seems very dim in the photo which could hinder growth (though likely the problem is multifactorial if the fish are dying)

You say rocks are "bare", but you have life rock. I love that type of rock but it can be pretty difficult to tell if things like coraline or other algaes are growing.

Also, once tank is stable and before adding critters you want I would consider getting a 6 line wrasse and springeri damsel at least temporarily to eat flat worms.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any flow in the tank? The water surface looks very still.

What kind of light do you have?

If nitrates don't change after a water change, then I would say it is error or faulty test kit.

I'm also questioning the flatworm exit, Your tank looks so clean and bare, what are the flatworms eating that is causing them to multiply even after you treat the tank?

OP
OP
Y

Yumme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can please list ALL parameters and the specific values. Obviously there is something wrong if fish are dying, it may not be related to water quality, but without the details we wont know. Lets eliminate water quality so we can talk about other possibly causes.

Some other thoughts:

what type of filtration are you running? I see a skimmer included in the package you purchased, but what else? Sump?

what are the specs of the light? it seems very dim in the photo which could hinder growth (though likely the problem is multifactorial if the fish are dying)

You say rocks are "bare", but you have life rock. I love that type of rock but it can be pretty difficult to tell if things like coraline or other algaes are growing.

Also, once tank is stable and before adding critters you want I would consider getting a 6 line wrasse and springeri damsel at least temporarily to eat flat worms.
Hi, thanks for responding so quickly.

Tank parameters:
Nitrates: 50ppm
Phos: 0.03ppm
Alk: 7dKH
pH: 8.2
Temp: 26.1C
Salinity: 1.027

I haven't tested calcium/magnesium tonight as I don't own a test kit for these.

Filtration
Sump + skimmer + filter sock/floss

Lighting
iLumenAir 600+
  • Total wattage - 95w
  • White 12000K (37w)
  • Red 640nm (16w)
  • NUVnm (2w)
  • Blue 465nm (37w)
Light settings as follows:
Sunrise 06:00 - 07:00: W-2% B-2% R-2%
Morning 07:00 - 09:00: W-30% B-50% R-30%
Daylight 09:00 - 15:00: W-65% B-80% R-40%
Early Evening 15:00 - 19:00: W-40% B-65% R-20%
Night 19:00 - 21:30: W-0% B-20% R-0%

The photo was taken during the night cycle, hence the dark lights.

I did buy a silver belly wrasse which lasted about a week before it too disappeared and died, although I think the gramma bullied it into hiding and it starved.

Hope this helps.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi,

I've had my TMC 144L tank set up for 10 months - firstly, a bit about my tank.

Here is the kit I bought with the tank, all equipment is TMC branded:
1687111419240.png

Livestock as of 2 weeks ago:

Fish & inverts
2 x perc clowns
1 x royal gramma
1 x bangai cardinal
1 x watchman goby
1 x pistol shrimp
1 x fire shrimp
2 x cleaner shrimp
1 x emerald crab
1 x tuxedo urchin
several hermits, snails, etc

Corals
1 x zoa
1 x GSP

This past week, the pistol, fire, and cleaner disappeared for a few days and wound up dead. Gramma is also now on his last legs (swimming sideways + hiding in rock).

LFS has tested water parameters, all are well except for mag being a little high and nitrates ~50ppm, they have been permanently stuck at this for the past 3 months. There has been a flatworm infestation for the past month. Dosed flatworm RX each week for past 3 weeks, with 50% water changes + activated carbon. Have dosed again this evening, with another 50% WC + dipped coral/rock. Tested after WC, nitrates still sitting ~50ppm. Test kit is Red Sea Algae Control Pro.

Bought coral mentioned above ~6 months ago, no growth whatsoever and have receded if anything. Rock is still practically bare.

LFS have recommended sending off an ICP test to identify the problem. Was just wondering if anyone here has had a similar experience, or could offer some advice before sending off the test. Finding it very hard to enjoy the hobby when the tank looks so sad all the time, and even more so due to losing 3 of my beloved inverts.

1687113032991.png
You have great products in that kit.
Are you using RODI water or a tap water source from faucet?
Flatworm exit in multiple doses can be an issue but more important- Did you Siphon tank after each application? If not, the dead worms can let off toxins and siphoning is a must.
I too believe an ICP test may reveal some imbalances with water.

OP
OP
Y

Yumme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any flow in the tank? The water surface looks very still.

What kind of light do you have?

If nitrates don't change after a water change, then I would say it is error or faulty test kit.

I'm also questioning the flatworm exit, Your tank looks so clean and bare, what are the flatworms eating that is causing them to multiply even after you treat the tank?
Hi,

I have a single Jecod 4 Wavemaker positioned halfway up the tank, and use the return pump random flow attachment for additional flow at the top of the tank.

My light specs are listed above in my previous reply.

I tested RO to see if the test kit was faulty, and had only trace readings of nitrate, possibly due to leftover residue from previous tests. The kit is only a couple of months old and within its expiry date.

I can only think the flatworms are reappearing due to incorrect siphoning when doing the 50% water change. I was under the impression the flatworm RX would obliterate all of them, but I guess not. I have dipped the rock and corals this time, where a load of them fell off into the dip, and siphoned all visible ones from the tank. Here's hoping this time has done the trick.

OP
OP
Y

Yumme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have great products in that kit.
Are you using RODI water or a tap water source from faucet?
Flatworm exit in multiple doses can be an issue but more important- Did you Siphon tank after each application? If not, the dead worms can let off toxins and siphoning is a must.
I too believe an ICP test may reveal some imbalances with water.
Hi,

I am using RODI water purchased from my LFS. I have used the same LFS for my weekly water changes since setting up the tank.

I siphoned the tank after every application, as well as using activated carbon in my sump to remove the toxins.

The ICP test is definitely on the agenda, I think it's a must at this point.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back