OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can, watch that CB and see how many times a day it swiftly swims to the wrasse and does quick movements.

Edit: If this is just a one time thing, it could be a coincidence. If it keeps repeating, the cb is controlling the wrasse.
Its certainly not constant but also more than once a day

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the CB into an isolation chamber. It might take a few days before the wrasse gets the courage to eat again.

Up to you though. What other fish are in with the wrasse?
Appreciate these comments but we really are not even considering its the coral beauty bullying, other fish are

Pair of clowns
Ywg
Royal gramma
One spot foxface
Coral beauty
Midas blenny

Shes not been treated for internal parasites

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might want to look into that.

Hows the algae in the tank? Are you letting the CB have nori throughout the day?
Algae not an issue, i dialled the lights right back, nori goes in every other day for the coral beauty and fox face

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not necessarily, just trying to head off any issues before they take hold
I'm sticking with CB being a bully. This is about food. They love to graze and killing off algae growth in the system is going to limit the food source.
But, I hope you find an answer you like.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Appreciate these comments but we really are not even considering its the coral beauty bullying, other fish are

Pair of clowns
Ywg
Royal gramma
One spot foxface
Coral beauty
Midas blenny

Shes not been treated for internal parasites
I too dont suspect coral beauty as an issue and one way to confirm is to set your cell phone on video mode for about 45 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a bully at feeding time.
Review the video and see who it may be. Also new marks or damage if any would notate continued aggression. I have 3 dwarf angels- one being coral beauty over 4 years and rarely if ever does it touch seaweed. Flame and Potters for sure have no interest.

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too dont suspect coral beauty as an issue and one way to confirm is to set your cell phone on video mode for about 45 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a bully at feeding time.
Review the video and see who it may be. Also new marks or damage if any would notate continued aggression. I have 3 dwarf angels- one being coral beauty over 4 years and rarely if ever does it touch seaweed. Flame and Potters for sure have no interest.
Ill try it, the coral beauty eats nori and frozen and when we were away for a few days last weekend pellets ( video camera setup)

If anyone is a food bully its the fox face, ive also noticed the fox face getting in-between the wrasse abd coral beauty and flaring spines leaning over towards the coral beauty, cant help thinking its trying to protect the wrasse

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The people I tagged will be able to provide much more useful information.

I would still looking to getting her wormed. Which might call for a separate tank if you have coral since she is not eating.
Appreciate it

No coral yet, but likely will set up another small tank over the weekend, did consider a qt tank but might just set up a nano tank as ive got rock in my sump i could use to instantly add the wrasse without a cycle needed

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ill try it, the coral beauty eats nori and frozen and when we were away for a few days last weekend pellets ( video camera setup)

If anyone is a food bully its the fox face, ive also noticed the fox face getting in-between the wrasse abd coral beauty and flaring spines leaning over towards the coral beauty, cant help thinking its trying to protect the wrasse
Foxface can be aggressor , but over the last 3 decades rarely see them being a jerk (just eating zoas)

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard wrasse can be very sensitive. I can’t see the video but based on behavior described. I’d say it’s not an injury as it would be under the sand. I’d guess something is scaring it and unfortunately they are not brave fish.

It reminds me of an issue between my leopard and Melanurus who would side swipe the leopard. It wasn’t overly aggressive just a show of dominance. However the leopard reacted as described by your comments. I moved the Melanurus to my other tank and no more issues.

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard wrasse can be very sensitive. I can’t see the video but based on behavior described. I’d say it’s not an injury as it would be under the sand. I’d guess something is scaring it and unfortunately they are not brave fish.

It reminds me of an issue between my leopard and Melanurus who would side swipe the leopard. It wasn’t overly aggressive just a show of dominance. However the leopard reacted as described by your comments. I moved the Melanurus to my other tank and no more issues.
I got the impression the wrasse wasnt brave, but when we got the foxface the wrasse would side swipe it for a few days, this subsided and now the foxface is bigger she wouldn't dare

Last edited:

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 33 50.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.1%
Back