At what point do i consider euthanizing my wrasse

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To cut a long story short i have a blue star leopard wrasse that showed signs of struggling after dosing nopox for just under a week, we stopped as soon as we saw issues and that was around three weeks ago, she isnt appearing to be eating and im not sure if she has for that long, she spends less time above the sand but will only stay down for a couple of days then come up for a few days, seems weak and is more blown around by the tank flow, sits on the sand a fair bit until my coral beauty comes along and flicks it into action, probably bullying but almost like shes trying to help her.

Doesnt appear to of lost much if any weight

We have the clove oil ready but dont want tk jump in too soon

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi can you post short video of when she's out ? #fishmedic

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To cut a long story short i have a blue star leopard wrasse that showed signs of struggling after dosing nopox for just under a week, we stopped as soon as we saw issues and that was around three weeks ago, she isnt appearing to be eating and im not sure if she has for that long, she spends less time above the sand but will only stay down for a couple of days then come up for a few days, seems weak and is more blown around by the tank flow, sits on the sand a fair bit until my coral beauty comes along and flicks it into action, probably bullying but almost like shes trying to help her.

Sorry to hear. When to euthanize is going to be a subjective call on your part. If the fish becomes moribund (unable to swim) that is a clear sign it is time to euthanize. Euthanizing due to it not feeding, in advance of it becoming moribund is where the judgement comes into play.

Here is a post I made about the process:

Jay

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. When to euthanize is going to be a subjective call on your part. If the fish becomes moribund (unable to swim) that is a clear sign it is time to euthanize. Euthanizing due to it not feeding, in advance of it becoming moribund is where the judgement comes into play.

Here is a post I made about the process:

Jay
This is her on the sand but shes not always like that, hard decision really hence looking for advice

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like scared by bullying from coral beauty, seems "ok" alert ,belly not pinched ,would try to isolate one or the other preferably the coral beauty

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like scared by bullying from coral beauty, seems "ok" alert ,belly not pinched ,would try to isolate one or the other preferably the coral beauty
Ok thanks, coral beauty has been in there a month prior to any signs of the nopox dosing though with no signs of bullying

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This is her on the sand but shes not always like that, hard decision really hence looking for advice

I dont see this fish as moribund or dying but likely intimidated. Consider placing it in an acclimation box for isolation and get it to eat and become accustomed to water and environment.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok thanks, coral beauty has been in there a month prior to any signs of the nopox dosing though with no signs of bullying
Is there a reason you are using NoPox? This is a method of vodka dosing and often used to redube phosphate and nitrate and there is a thing as adding too much. Water changes are often the answer- not a bottle of solution.

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see this fish as moribund or dying but likely intimidated. Consider placing it in an acclimation box for isolation and get it to eat and become accustomed to water and environment.
Weve had her about 7/8 months eating fine previously and showed no issues, acclamation box wont allow her to go into the sand

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason you are using NoPox? This is a method of vodka dosing and often used to redube phosphate and nitrate and there is a thing as adding too much. Water changes are often the answer- not a bottle of solution.
Just to reduce nitrates, ive since got an algae reactor so hopefully that'll work

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Weve had her about 7/8 months eating fine previously and showed no issues, acclamation box wont allow her to go into the sand
Good point on sand in which next option is an isolation/observation tank with sand

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just to reduce nitrates, ive since got an algae reactor so hopefully that'll work
Algae reactor and scrubber work well. I use a scrubber and the numbers suggest they are effective.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry, I strongly agree with this. I have had several dwarf angels in my life time. Nipping isn't usually their go to, to bully, they love to slam into other fish, side swipe like a tang would, smack fish with their tails. They will get into nipping if they really want the other fish dead.

It does not take much to make a leopard wrasse shut down.

I assume the coral beauty has only been with you for 1 month?

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae reactor and scrubber work well. I use a scrubber and the numbers suggest they are effective.
Hopefully it will work, ive not checked the chaeto in a week or so and due a water test tomorrow, ive also added a drop two or cheato gro to help it along

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I strongly agree with this. I have had several dwarf angels in my life time. Nipping isn't usually their go to, to bully, they love to slam into other fish, side swipe like a tang would, smack fish with their tails. They will get into nipping if they really want the other fish dead.

It does not take much to make a leopard wrasse shut down.

I assume the coral beauty has only been with you for 1 month?
Coral beauty been in there nearly 2 months now

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Coral beauty been in there nearly 2 months now
If you can, watch that CB and see how many times a day it swiftly swims to the wrasse and does quick movements.

Edit: If this is just a one time thing, it could be a coincidence. If it keeps repeating, the cb is controlling the wrasse.

TheTruTaric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DONT DO IT....JUST YESTERDAY I HAD A SIMILAR STORY.

my leopard blue star wrasse-lost all ability to swim, was looking dead for a day or so. my friends told me to euthanize it, as i was removing it from the tank it almost snapped out of it and started to improve quickly, im glad i did not give up, however its your call, im glad i let minefight to the end

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DONT DO IT....JUST YESTERDAY I HAD A SIMILAR STORY.

my leopard blue star wrasse-lost all ability to swim, was looking dead for a day or so. my friends told me to euthanize it, as i was removing it from the tank it almost snapped out of it and started to improve quickly, im glad i did not give up, however its your call, im glad i let minefight to the end
This has been odd behaviour for 3 weeks now, im not ready to do it, will be a totally last resort, shes just gone under the sand anyway

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 32 50.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back