At what point, if any, do you remove a bristle worm?

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had several that were over 3 feet long in my softie system they were living in the piping i had put in for a snowflake eel
i had no idea they were in there till we moved.

gibec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont CARE if they are good for the system. I am getting rid of all of those that are easy to access. If not i just leave them alone until next time they come out to a easily accessible location.

Honestly I have a CUC for a reason. Ugly mo fos gotta GOOOOOOO.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont CARE if they are good for the system. I am getting rid of all of those that are easy to access. If not i just leave them alone until next time they come out to a easily accessible location.

Honestly I have a CUC for a reason. Ugly mo fos gotta GOOOOOOO.
I do the same thing, I tolerate them and remove the big boys as they come out and I can get them easily, but not tearing down my tank for them or anything lol

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the same thing, I tolerate them and remove the big boys as they come out and I can get them easily, but not tearing down my tank for them or anything lol
I used to go out of my way to save (and throw back in) any that got stuck in my filter material (((HOBs only,,, sorry))) or in my discard bucket when I siphon/vacuum sand bed.

Now, I'm too lazy but I feel bad when some lose their lives.

I believe they are a great part of overall CUC and, also, big ones don't ever seem to come completely out of their strongholds. Honestly don't think there's any way I could ever remove all of them without a massive re-start of all rock/sand/substrate (((which I don't want to do anyway))),,, so, all I have to say to the mighty bristleworms in my tank is:

Peace, bros...

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remove them when I see a lot, I am a big fan of spot feeding various mushrooms (bounce) and lps like meltdown chalice and they will take the food right out of the coral’s mouth when have a large population. Bottle trap works. Otherwise I leave them alone. I let rainbow monti grow on the bottom and they made burrows in it as they moved and the monti grow around them, it was kinda neat.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remove them when I see a lot, I am a big fan of spot feeding various mushrooms (bounce) and lps like meltdown chalice and they will take the food right out of the coral’s mouth when have a large population. Bottle trap works. Otherwise I leave them alone. I let rainbow monti grow on the bottom and they made burrows in it as they moved and the monti grow around them, it was kinda neat.
I did not know they could actually burrow through stuff, interesting! I only take them out when they fully expose themselves, which usually means I have to wait about 20-30min past lights out and then use my little red LED light to spot the big ones. They are usually going along the glass looking for detritus in my tank

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back