At what rate can I add fish to a newly cycled aquarium?

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been cycling a new 50 gallon AIO for about 6 weeks now with dry rock, dry sand, and bottled bacteria. All tests are looking solid and I'd like to start moving fish over from the old tank soon.

The fish to be moved are a clownfish pair and a goby pair with their pistol shrimp. The pairings mean that at the very minimum I need to move my fish two at a time. I will probably move the clowns first because I'm certain I'll have to tear the tank apart to get the gobies and shrimp.

I was just wondering if there is an agreed upon time period between adding fish that allow the biofilter to keep up with the load? Would it be beneficial to dose additional bacteria with each set of fish?

I have no need to rush things but I'd also love to go back to maintaining just one tank! Thanks all!

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all dependent on size/bio-load. 2 small clowns don't produce as much waste as a large tang for example.
I would personally do 2 smaller fish at a time or 1 large fish at a time then test before adding other fish. So your clown pair would be fine, and likely a smart move to move together. Then the other 2 and depending on readings since the Shrimp is small enough, possibly just throw it in there.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back