At what temperature do you not use a heat pack?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Burks
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Burks

Toledo Reefer
View Badges
Joined
Jul 9, 2007
Messages
167
Reaction score
5
Location
Toledo, OH
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering at what temperature do you not use a heat pack? Say a coral is coming from California to Ohio (or vice-versa). It can get pretty chilly around here at night during this time of year, I'm better it can in Cali as well.

I've received freshwater shrimp from Cali around this time of year a couple years ago and the water was in the high 60's, which is zero problem for them.
 
I don't use a heatpack if it's in the 70's. Corals can usually survive in the colder water when the heatpack fails but i would definitely use a heatpack below 70's.
 
What do you do when the temp is in the 80s shipped from and 40s shipped to?
Or vise versa?
 
what about right now.. shipping here in cali.. during the day its mid 70's but at night it get down to the 50's.. heat pack?
 
Well I justed shipped a package to San Diego and everything went great! Talk about being nervous since I've never shipped that far before. Used a heatpack and it arrived in perfect condition. Have to say I was very pleased with USPS. 4.8lbs from Toledo to San Diego, $38 and arrived before noon.

Sad thing is when I move, overnight mail isn't going to happen. The mail will get rerouted to Akron instead of Mansfield, so that adds at least a day to travel. Already checked, they won't guarantee overnight any more. :(
 
Well I justed shipped a package to San Diego and everything went great! Talk about being nervous since I've never shipped that far before. Used a heatpack and it arrived in perfect condition. Have to say I was very pleased with USPS. 4.8lbs from Toledo to San Diego, $38 and arrived before noon.

Sad thing is when I move, overnight mail isn't going to happen. The mail will get rerouted to Akron instead of Mansfield, so that adds at least a day to travel. Already checked, they won't guarantee overnight any more. :(

Where are you moving to? If i can overnight from Honolulu to Maine/Florida you should be able to overnight. Though i use UPS. I can get a box to Maine/Florida in about 22 hours total transit time.

Mike, i've been shipping all winter from 80 degree weather to single digits using heat packs with no problems.

AC-Kevin
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 34.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 23 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new