ATB Skimmer

FishNFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody own one of these skimmers? I having some trouble with mine and want to pick your brain as to why.

OP
OP
FishNFrags

FishNFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the ATB1050a V1.5. The recommended sump water depth is 8 to 8.5 inches. I have mine at 8.5 inches. It seems no matter what I do it runs way to wet fills cup in like 30 seconds...lol The adjustment tube make no difference at all. This is in a new setup fish only. Only been running two days. I did use Bio Spira wonder if that's the problem causing this?

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the ATB1050a V1.5. The recommended sump water depth is 8 to 8.5 inches. I have mine at 8.5 inches. It seems no matter what I do it runs way to wet fills cup in like 30 seconds...lol The adjustment tube make no difference at all. This is in a new setup fish only. Only been running two days. I did use Bio Spira wonder if that's the problem causing this?
Sounds like something is causing it to go nuts (biospira) may be causing it but here are a few suggestions, Take the collection cup off the body and let it run for a few days like that and if it is water related it will calm down sooner or later. I had the same issues when i first got mine and found that raising it up to around 10" helped to settle it down also even though they say 8" is best. Did you vinegar bath the skimmer to remove any oils if it's new ? If not try that, Another Quirk i found with it was the pump tube must not be pushed too far into the body or it will cause these symptoms also and last but not least there is a thread on RC about these skimmers that you can get even more up to date info.
Hope this helps somewhat and dont give up as they are good skimmers just touchy until you get it figured out.
Bill

OP
OP
FishNFrags

FishNFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! "last but not least there is a thread on RC about these skimmers that you can get even more up to date info." I can't find this thread you by chance have a link to it?

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! "last but not least there is a thread on RC about these skimmers that you can get even more up to date info." I can't find this thread you by chance have a link to it?
No been baned for life! Think it was titled ATB skimmers or something like that, Maybe another member can find it for you.
Bill

OP
OP
FishNFrags

FishNFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Bill If a little oil did get into the system is there any way to get it out safely? I've tried two good skimmers now with same results. Lots of Foam. Water looks ok. Fish doing fine but when you try to skim it all kinds of Foam...lol The tanks were tapped also so they used vegetable oil to tap. I thought I had it all out but I guess I could have missed a little. Any suggestions?

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Bill If a little oil did get into the system is there any way to get it out safely? I've tried two good skimmers now with same results. Lots of Foam. Water looks ok. Fish doing fine but when you try to skim it all kinds of Foam...lol The tanks were tapped also so they used vegetable oil to tap. I thought I had it all out but I guess I could have missed a little. Any suggestions?
Water changes until you get it to calm down, It will sooner or later.
Bill

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back