ATI ICP results

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I was wondering if you all had any input on the tin levels from this one tank I am testing. This is the recommended changes page. I'll post the rodi result too but keep in mind their tds was 3 at the time (now 0 with new resin). The salt used is red sea salt. Nothing else is dosed in the tank and the only filter is biomedia and filter socks

Screenshot_20200930-125043_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200930-122948_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I was wondering if you all had any input on the tin levels from this one tank I am testing. This is the recommended changes page. I'll post the rodi result too but keep in mind their tds was 3 at the time (now 0 with new resin). The salt used is red sea salt. Nothing else is dosed in the tank and the only filter is biomedia and filter socks

I meant nothing else by alk and calcium (BRS) is dosed

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank seems OK, I wouldn't agonize over that level of time, but if it goes higher I would be concerned.

Do you know what typical tin toxicity looks like with corals? Their tank has not had very good luck with corals. I believe part was due to some sticky substance at the bottom of their tank that was causing tissue necrosis upon collecting on the coral. I think that part has been partially taken care of but I am concerned that the tin is the reason why most corals in this tank have poor polyp extension or like the zoas seem to just close up and die eventually

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard that tin can come from pvc pipes or new tanks. Could this be a source?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many forms of tin, so it is impossible to say exactly what levels are a problem, and what the exact symptoms are in any given coral. It is also impossible in any given report, to know whether the issues relate to tin or something else, since many, many folks have problems and never know what caused it (even with ICP tests).

Yes, tin can come from plastics such as PVC and even the aquarium glass since glass is made by floating on molten tin and amounts measured on float glass can be enough to give measurable levels in aquaria.

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the nickel is anything to be concerned with?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the nickel is anything to be concerned with?

It's possible, but I do not know. It is also biologically needed by organisms.

I would try to look for any source of it, like additives or metal parts in the water.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As a frequent user of ATI ICP test, it appears you sent RODI water in your primary testing tubes? I only ask because according to your test results; your alk is zero and your salinity is also zero. Regarding Tin, im recovering from a tin problem, my levels were as high as 50 UG/L and pretty much i lost alot of colonies... lost coloration, RTN and STN. Once i got it down below 20...things started improving.....as of my last icp test im at 12. im sending another off today to verify if its dropped below that.

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm beginning to be very suspicious about the tin levels reported by ATI ICP Lab.

Last year my tin levels, according to Triton and Aquaforest ICPs, were in the range 7-12. Then I submitted an analysis to ATI and got tin = 26,82. One month later, without any water changes I submitted another ICP to Triton and the result was 13.

On july I sent parallel samples to Triton and Aquaforest, and got tin = 14 and 17,1, respectively. On September the 20th I sent again parallel samples to Triton and ATI, and got tin = 9,3 and 67 (!!).

I know I have some tin in my tank (I have not been able to track the source) but a difference of more than 57 microg/ml seems too much. I have not observed any negative symptoms neither in corals nor fishes.

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a frequent user of ATI ICP test, it appears you sent RODI water in your primary testing tubes? I only ask because according to your test results; your alk is zero and your salinity is also zero. Regarding Tin, im recovering from a tin problem, my levels were as high as 50 UG/L and pretty much i lost alot of colonies... lost coloration, RTN and STN. Once i got it down below 20...things started improving.....as of my last icp test im at 12. im sending another off today to verify if its dropped below that.

One of the tubes was for ro and the others for the tank.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back