ATI ICP Test Results

Luciferene

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean CupriSorb? That’s my plan, actually; poly-filters and CupriSorb to try and get rid of the metals. I do have a Hanna Checker for Copper, so I will test the water this weekend and see if it registers before I start with the water changes.
Yep 100% meant CupriSorb. Cupramine would have the opposite effect.

CaribSea would be a reliable brand for liverock/livesand. There may be arguments for price, quality etc but it definitely doesn't kill corals and fish. Online vendors like BRS would be an option if your LFS doesn't carry it.

Only concern would be to make sure problem's not being introduced via water changes, etc. Otherwise resetting would just repeat the process.

But then resetting will stop the second guessing and potentially be the least stressful option.

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be a theory or maybe a possibility. However, maybe the LFS you are buying your fish from is dosing their tank with Copper and maybe the water from the LFS got in your tank.
I’ve thought about that too, but I actually tried to add the corals to the tank before I ever had fish in there and they still began to die on me :confused:

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that a metal binder like cuprisorb or metasorb is well worth a try.
Will this fix the issues if it is the rock leaching the metals?

I am concerned that I will continue to have these problems because I have about 50 pounds of rock and about 40 pounds of sand in this tank that has been marinating in this contaminated water for months...

I feel like the only way to keep from repeating the same cycle would be to just restart the tank with live rock and live sand....Unless you think otherwise?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this fix the issues if it is the rock leaching the metals?

I am concerned that I will continue to have these problems because I have about 50 pounds of rock and about 40 pounds of sand in this tank that has been marinating in this contaminated water for months...

I feel like the only way to keep from repeating the same cycle would be to just restart the tank with live rock and live sand....Unless you think otherwise?

It will bind certain metals to keep them lower in solution, and if used long enough, will strip them from the tank (at least those that are accessible to the water and are causing an issue (assuming that's the issue to begin with).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will bind certain metals to keep them lower in solution, and if used long enough, will strip them from the tank (at least those that are accessible to the water and are causing an issue (assuming that's the issue to begin with).
Thank you!

I would be willing to bet that these metals are my primary issue, but at this point, I have just about given up on figuring it out. Some folks say the metals shouldn’t be harmful and other say they are. I’m just so frustrated with the situation that I don’t have much motivation left when it comes to further troubleshooting unfortunately. Do you think there’s any way for me to rid the rock and sand of the metals of I pull replace them? I wouldn’t feel right trying to sell them knowing they’re contaminated.
I would try this before a total reboot
I think I can actually do a total reboot (new live rock and live sand from the gulf) for around $250, so at this point, I’m pretty willing to just quit with the troubleshooting just buy the new stuff. I honestly wouldn’t mind the hitchhikers; aiptasia, asterina, Bobbit worms….Give them all to me! At least that would mean my tank isn’t toxic and I would get the full reef experience rather than constantly staring at the barren reminder of my failure.

Back