ATI ICP Very High Tin

jx.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my first ICP test results and am concerned about the amount of Tin detected (32 ug/l). I was experiencing some RTN in a few acros (3 out of 14) and did a 50% water change before sending off the ICP so the original reading might have been around 60+. Since the water change, the tank has stabilized and I'm back to getting good growth, colors, and PE for my SPS. However, my zoas continue to melt (ongoing since I transferred everything over to the tank 4 months ago) and mushrooms still look mediocre. I'm not sure if Tin is causing any of these issues but it's the only number that really jumps out to me.

I know why my other parameter are out of whack (need to adjust trace element dosing and stop dosing N/P) but can't pinpoint the cause for Tin. No other heavy metals are elevated. I can't find anything rusted. This is an AIO so I don't have any PVC plumbing either.

At what level is tin toxic? Any recommendations on how to locate the source?

1603403099486.png

1603403130442.png

1603403157346.png

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, i had exactly the same level of tin ~32. Had slow growth and rtn from the base. I did a waterchange and regenerated my cuprisorb. Corals look ok now.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallons is your system? Do you have a Red Sea tank by any chance? Is there any plastic tubing? I'm asking all this because I have been investigating a tin problem with my system and after 35+ ICP tests I narrowed the problem down to a 2' green plastic hose used for the pump return. I also found tin leaching from pvc pipes, skimmers and reactors. In a large system, I doubt this would be a problem but in 40-50 gallons or less, I believe it could be a problem.
I'm waiting for 10 more ICP test results to come back (in about a week). I will post my conclusions and suspicions regarding tin in my thread when I am finished, which you can view here:
(You can skip through to the last few posts if you don't want to read the whole thing).

Back