ATI Results - Can anyone see what may be killing my snails?

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been having a difficult time keeping snails alive for over a year now. I thought it was because of my battle with dinoflagellates and the possibility that they were toxic to the snails. Now that I am clear of dinos (knock on wood), I tried replenishing my clean up crew, but over the course of a few weeks I have lost about 25% of my trochus and nassarius snails. I don't think it is any of the other inhabitants as the snails that die seem to be lethargic. The two that stood out to me were copper and aluminum. From what I've found, that level of copper shouldn't be an issue, but maybe the aluminum is?

Below are the results from my most recent ATI test.

Additional details:
Temp: 77-78F
pH: ~7.6-8.0
Using Instant Ocean salt, BRS kalkwasser, and running chaeto in a fuge.
RO/DI test came back with zeros across the board.
Note, silicon is high as I have been dosing SpongExcel to help keep the dinos away

Pg1.jpg
Pg2.jpg
Pg3.jpg

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been having a difficult time keeping snails alive for over a year now. I thought it was because of my battle with dinoflagellates and the possibility that they were toxic to the snails. Now that I am clear of dinos (knock on wood), I tried replenishing my clean up crew, but over the course of a few weeks I have lost about 25% of my trochus and nassarius snails. I don't think it is any of the other inhabitants as the snails that die seem to be lethargic. The two that stood out to me were copper and aluminum. From what I've found, that level of copper shouldn't be an issue, but maybe the aluminum is?

Additional details:
Note, silicon is high as I have been dosing SpongExcel to help keep the dinos away

Pg1.jpg
Pg2.jpg
Pg3.jpg
They got enough to eat? You got a pic?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Additional details:

Pg1.jpg
Pg2.jpg
Pg3.jpg
Your copper is high but I have no idea if that matters. There is a chance your snails are starving to death.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back