ATI Sunpower 8 Bulb Combo Suggestions

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to change bulbs in my 8x24 watt ATI T5 Sunpower. SPS dominant 30"x30"x18"H tank. Currently I'm running 5 Blue plus, 2 Purple Plus and 1 coral Plus.

Any other suggestions for an 8 bulb combination ? I prefer ATI bulbs. I like a bluer look 14k-20k. Thanks

OP
OP
Jimbo

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not crazy about the Aquablue Special. Thinking of going With 5 Blue+ 2 Coral+ and a Purple +

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not crazy about any of the red/purple bulbs but I like a bluer look so it really just depends on what color you like. One thing that most of us ATi guys seem to always agree on is Blue Plus is a great bulb :D

OP
OP
Jimbo

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you mean about the red color in the Purple + , can be a little too much. That's why I'm changing to using 1 Purple+ instead of the 2 I have in now.

I like a bluer look too and I'd try 5 Blue + and 3 Coral+ and do away with the purple altogether, but I think that might be too white...

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect combo for Color, Growth, Visual look, and for us its Working really well.

For the 24" ATI sunPower 8 Bulb we have going

DSC09140.jpg

Last edited:

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
then for the 48" ATI 8Bulb Sunpower fixture we have

Blue+
Purple+
Reef Spec Red Sea 22k Actinic
Reef Spec Red Sea 15k Blue/White
Blue+
ATI Actinic
Purple+
Blue+

Last edited:

CUNAReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ATI Bulbs are all you need. I just swapped my bulbs. 4 ATI Aquablue, 2 ATI Actinic, 1 Coral Plus, 1 Blue Plus. I'm not big on the super blue look, so I really like the aqua blue. I suggest two Actinics for dawn/dusk. If you use more than one purple plus, expect a very pink look. The Coral plus is a cross between the blue plus, aquablue, and the purple plus. Here is what I would go with

2 ATI Actinic
2 Coral Plus
3 blue plus
1 aquablue

F to B

Blue Plus
Coral Plus
Actinic
Aquablue
Blue Plus
Actinic
Coral Plus
Blue Plus

OP
OP
Jimbo

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rob&Gab Any reason why you threw the Reefspec 15K in there. Is there an ATI equivalent?

CUNAReefer Aren't I giving up quite a bit of PAR by going with 2 Actinic bulbs? Would be nice to have them for dawn/ dusk though

Thanks for your help.

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the reefspec 15k is a bluer white. its a really nice color not too white and not too blue. The specs on it are pretty good as well. take a look into it. the combo we have is kick butt imo. the growth rate is really good as the color as well. lmk what you go with bud. if you do that is,

OP
OP
Jimbo

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody else using ATI Actinics ? Seems like with the Blue Plus bulbs nobody bothers with actinics anymore.

TwistedTiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody else using ATI Actinics ? Seems like with the Blue Plus bulbs nobody bothers with actinics anymore.
IMO too many blue plus give the tank a baby blue look. Replacing a couple with true actinics give more of the old MH XM 20k look.

jeremy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add enough coral plus bulbs it takes away the baby blue look. I run 6 blue plus and 2 coral plus now but gonna change one blue out to another coral plus. And I think closest bulb ati makes to aqua blue special but I dont like it it washes out colors in my opinion. I have also tried the ge 6500k bulb also but with that you need 2 purple plus to take away some of the yellowish color. But I decided to go with the coral pluses and very happy with them.

OP
OP
Jimbo

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going out on a limb here and going to give a couple of Actinic bulbs a try. Haven't used them in years but always liked the look of them. They are low PAR but I'm hoping I can make it up with the other 6 bulbs. I wouldn't mind giving up a little coral growth if it improves color.

Thanks for your help to those who responded.

TwistedTiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eight bulb T5 only reef using 2 actinic in the combo. I'm always fraggin, I don't think my sps are suffering from low par. Crappie phone pics, no it doesn't really look that blue.

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

we use 1 ATI actinic, and 1 Reef Spec Read sea 22k Actinic. personally i love the Red Sea 22k Actinic much better. Gives a more natural look.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 31 40.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 39 51.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 7.9%
Back