ATI Sunpower - Anyone run the Bay lights reverse?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an 6 bulb sunpower over a 40B. I just picked up two 36 reef breeder 14k lumen bars to add shimmer and color. They work awesome! With 6 bulbs and two leds running I fear the PAR will be too great for lower light corals because of how shallow a 40B is (16"). Something simple that took me a while to think of was instead of running the sunrise sunset with the bay lights (if you are unaware, sunpower has two sets of bulbs, the two bay bulbs and then the remaining 4) I run the sunrise sunset with leds, 4 bulb during the day and then at a "high noon" I use the two bay bulbs for 2-4 hours as a high intensity period. I imagine during the day on the ocean there is a period where the sun is at its peak with the highest intense light.

Any thoughts on this? PAR meter coming this weekend so I might not even have to worry but I imagine I am going to be getting a lot of PAR with all bulbs and leds on.

Thanks!

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're too worried about your numbers (PAR).
Adapt the whole system (and new corals) to a normal T5s' photoperiod and let it trace it's course. If anything you'll need to worry about is your additional LEDs, not the T5s. Reduce the LEDs' photoperiod, not the T5s. The LEDs should be the supplemental light for your system.
You just can't over lit a tank with T5s using normal aquarium bulbs no matter what corals you want to keep. If you adapt them you will be fine. Watch your LEDs though!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back