ATM OR DOCTOR TIMS/OTHER ?

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another cycle question lol;Facepalm

im looking at using ATM Colony and adding few small fish 24 hours later for the ammonia like says how to use! or would you go with doctor tims and add ammonia drops every few days?

or whot else you guys use!

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do Dr. Tim's or Biospira. Both available at BRS, Marine Depot, etc. I still wouldn't put a fish in that early. Don't rush it. For my 40 gallon, I added a bottle of Biospira and 3 raw shrimp from the grocery store (like $0.80). When the shrimp started dissolving I removed them. Tested and within 1 week of adding it all, it was cycled. I added some clean up crew and two corals. I still waited a bit on the fish, but that's because they were still in QT.

OP
OP
J

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do Dr. Tim's or Biospira. Both available at BRS, Marine Depot, etc. I still wouldn't put a fish in that early. Don't rush it. For my 40 gallon, I added a bottle of Biospira and 3 raw shrimp from the grocery store (like $0.80). When the shrimp started dissolving I removed them. Tested and within 1 week of adding it all, it was cycled. I added some clean up crew and two corals. I still waited a bit on the fish, but that's because they were still in QT.
was the shrimp you put in tank for the ammonia mate! in the main tank or sump? and did you have skimmer/uv running buddy"

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was the shrimp you put in tank for the ammonia mate! in the main tank or sump? and did you have skimmer/uv running buddy"

yes, the shrimp was to decay and start the ammonia cycle. sump or main tank probably makes no difference, but I had it in the main tank with the sand and rock. I did have my skimmer running during that time because it was brand new and I wanted it to break in. I don't have a UV.

OP
OP
J

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, the shrimp was to decay and start the ammonia cycle. sump or main tank probably makes no difference, but I had it in the main tank with the sand and rock. I did have my skimmer running during that time because it was brand new and I wanted it to break in. I don't have a UV.
thanks mate" how long did the cycle take !

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only about 7 days for ammonia and nitrite to rise and fall to 0. I would absolutely do this same method again on another tank. 7 days is no problem to wait.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used ATM Colony twice and it works exactly as it says and can highly recommend it.

OP
OP
J

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used ATM Colony twice and it works exactly as it says and can highly recommend it.
Did you use ATM and add fish 24 hour after mate? or fishless cycle with prawn or ammonia drops

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use ATM and add fish 24 hour after mate? or fishless cycle with prawn or ammonia drops
You can add fish as per the instructions, basically it contains all the bacteria ready to go.

I have never done a cycle with a prawn, and never will, its 2018! lol

Look at my tank if you want to see if it worked

OP
OP
J

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add fish as per the instructions, basically it contains all the bacteria ready to go.

I have never done a cycle with a prawn, and never will, its 2018! lol

Look at my tank if you want to see if it worked
yes go with the times mate" think lot of people still use the prawn method as not the cheapest to go with bottles of bacteria if got a big tank!

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes go with the times mate" think lot of people still use the prawn method as not the cheapest to go with bottles of bacteria if got a big tank!

use the prawn with the bacteria bottle. once you pour in the bacteria it needs food...which is the ammonia. You can add fish and have them start generating ammonia. Personally I don't trust that it's instantly cycled so I wouldn't add fish that quickly. Some people will dose ammonia for a week. I'd recommend the prawns.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back