Cycling issues on my 15g Tank

MelbReefer

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2026
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
Location
Melbourne
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! Newbie here and needed help on cycling my tank.

I cycled with Dr Tims One and Only and Ammonia drops with Dry rock and sand. Im also using and API Test kit.
I have added my first 2 clowns feeding it once a day, on the 4th week after testing Ammonia 0 (Wasnt able to test for Nitrite and Nitrate). I tested again on the 5th week and came back with really high Ammonia - 1 ppm, Nitrite - 2 ppm and Nitrate - 5 ppm. Did a 50% water change the next day and got Ammonia - 0.25 ppm, nitrite - 0.25, nitrate - 0 after 24 hours of water change. Im now on my 6th week of cycling my tank and tested Ammonia 0.25, Nitrite 0, Nitrate. Did I just crash my tank or my cycling has stalled? However my clownfish seem to be thriving.

Thanks in Advance!
 
Last edited:
How soon did you add the clowns after you added the fritz and ammonia? So the clowns have been in your tank now for 4 weeks? Can we see a tank pic?

API is notorius for showing .25 for ammonia and nitrite, I would disregard it completely and treat it like zero. It should not take 6 weeks to cycle a tank, so teh tank should be cycled by now. Once the tank is cycled, no need to ever test ammonia or nitrite again.
 
How soon did you add the clowns after you added the fritz and ammonia? So the clowns have been in your tank now for 4 weeks? Can we see a tank pic?

API is notorius for showing .25 for ammonia and nitrite, I would disregard it completely and treat it like zero. It should not take 6 weeks to cycle a tank, so teh tank should be cycled by now. Once the tank is cycled, no need to ever test ammonia or nitrite again.
Thanks for the advise!
I added the clowns 2 weeks ago. Im just baffled that im getting zero on my nitrates for a week now after doing a 50% WC. Does this mean I can start adding 1 more fish to the tank?
Screenshot 2026-05-09 at 9.33.09 pm.png
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new