ATO disabled for 2 days.... salinity didn't change?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway I accidentally left the ATO off for 2 days, caught it after I checked the top-off log. Sump water level dropped only about 1 inch. Checked the salinity and it didn't change???? I always calibrate my refractometer with RO before every use so I don't think it was an error. Though is this right? Or is my refractometer off?

Wave Whisperer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your size of tank and total water volume? These are crucial in determining fluctuations. Unless if you are running a nano, a larger tank would go almost unnoticed with salinity swings in regards to missed ATO top ups. I have been guilty of this as well. Forgot to turn back on my ATO after maintenance for at least 4 days before I noticed it. Salinity remained at 35ppt for me. My total system volume is around 170gal.

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your size of tank and total water volume? These are crucial in determining fluctuations. Unless if you are running a nano, a larger tank would go almost unnoticed with salinity swings in regards to missed ATO top ups. I have been guilty of this as well. Forgot to turn back on my ATO after maintenance for at least 4 days before I noticed it. Salinity remained at 35ppt for me. My total system volume is around 170gal
System is 120 gal

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 15000g saltwater pool loses 10s of gallons each day in summer through heat evaporation and is replaced by tap water auto fill. The salinity level does not change through normal evaporation. Now when kids splash a bunch of water out of the pool over the course of a month then I might need to add a bag of salt here and there over the summer.

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 15000g saltwater pool loses 10s of gallons each day in summer through heat evaporation and is replaced by tap water auto fill. The salinity level does not change through normal evaporation. Now when kids splash a bunch of water out of the pool over the course of a month then I might need to add a bag of salt here and there over the summer.
I need to see that pool.

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 79 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back