ATO failed! Massive salinity swing, HELP

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
While I was doing some work in the tank cabinet I mistakenly disxonnexted the ATO sensor plug from the reefpi controller and dumped something like 4 gallons of RODI into my 35g system.
Salinity dropped from 35ppt to 30 ppt.
What should I do? I tried to do a small water change to raise salinity again around 32ppt but I don't want to raise it more, I probably messed up already.
I was thinking to use 37ppt water in the ato instead of the rodi to bring salinity up again within few days.
My fish seems fine for now (everything happened 30 minutes ago). Will my corals die?
I have mainly lps and softies but also 2 pocillopora frags.
Also I have several inverts.
Please tell me that they are not gonna all die.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you want to slowly re-raise the levels. But mostly posting to bump your post for other advice.

desertrat505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water will eventually evaporate; you could put a fan over the surface of the water to speed up the process.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably wouldn't mix saltwater into your ATO. Instead, just manually keep adding a higher ppt mix of saltwater to your tank in the morning and evening (doesn't have to be that much) until you get back to where you want to be.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think guys that seriatoporta frags will die?
I think everything will be fine (including the urchin). 32ppt is actually 1.024 - and many LFS will run their fish and inverts at 1.023 or lower. Just raise it slowly and keep your temperature, lighting and other water parameters stable.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think everything will be fine (including the urchin). 32ppt is actually 1.024 - and many LFS will run their fish and inverts at 1.023 or lower. Just raise it slowly and keep your temperature, lighting and other water parameters stable.
Well this seems less tragic that I imagined thanks. Its so sad I finally could keep the tank stable and corals seemed doing very well. Hopefully it will have no serious effects. When you say raise it slowly you mean within a week or less?

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you just dumped rodi into the tank? I would actually do nothing and let it evaporate back to normal levels

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was worried because I seemed to understand that sps are very sensitive to salinity and alk swings and I got my first sps frags last week and are looking great. It would be very annoying if they were to die for such a dumb mistake

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say only do this if you want to keep more water in the tank , as the rodi evaps the salinity will increase and it will be higher than it was prior eventually
The op can keep toping up with saltwater until salinity reaches the desired level, then continue topping up with RODI water to maintain the desired level of salinity.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The op can keep toping up with saltwater until salinity reaches the desired level, then continue topping up with RODI water to maintain the desired level of salinity.
Ye I get that , I was just assuming if op accidentally added an extra 4 gallons that the tank water level is higher than intended

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this seems less tragic that I imagined thanks. Its so sad I finally could keep the tank stable and corals seemed doing very well. Hopefully it will have no serious effects. When you say raise it slowly you mean within a week or less?
Within a few days to a week, yes.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say only do this if you want to keep more water in the tank , as the rodi evaps the salinity will increase and it will be higher than it was prior eventually
Yeah but as mentioned before I already did a small water change so my water level now is even as usual. It was first 30ppt, I raised it to 32 ppt with a water change. Now its 32ppt and the water level is even

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but as mentioned before I already did a small water change so my water level now is even as usual. It was first 30ppt, I raised it to 32 ppt with a water change. Now its 32ppt and the water level is even
Then ye top off with saltwater then rodi once it’s back to where you want it , you’re just training yr corals to accept swings make them stronger haha

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok the salinity level are now as usual. For now it seems corals and the urchin did not suffer from the swing.
Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 49 84.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back