ATO for sump

kemble9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. Looking for a little assistance or advice. Im Installing an icecap 30 reef sump under my 120g tank. The sump has an ATO resevoir. Any suggestions on an ATO unit? Also, im assuming I would top off into the return section of the sump? Or should it go into the display tank?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the float switch/optical sensors would go into the return section of a sump and then traditionally the output of the pump is in that chamber as well.
I have a diy ato but if I were going to buy one I'd probably go with tunze ato. Overall I've read good things about them.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the tunze.
i also have my optical sensor/float in the return chamber where the water level is constant. the feed in mine is actually in the first stage of my sump for no reason other than it was a shorter run for me.
the only advice past that is to ensure that you keep the feed line above the water level so you don't have any siphoning to worry about and your ato reservoir water level should not sit higher than the sump or gravity will continue to pump water

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Duetto dual sensor ATO is also very accurate, very reliable, provided you don't have any critters that might cover both sensors at the same time. Probably not a problem in the sump. Has a smaller footprint than the Tunze, though that probably isn't an issue in a sump. (I was using mine in the display tank before my urchin tried to "eat" it. :)

Even Further

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectrapure is way, way ahead of Avast on the ATO. Not even that close of a comparison. You can even see it in the pricing.

Spectrapure has two sensors, primary and secondary pressure sensor. Avast only one.
Spectrapure Liter Meter peristaltic pump is as good as it gets for reliability. Its durable and external to the sump, and has awesome distance capability.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectrapure is way, way ahead of Avast on the ATO. Not even that close of a comparison. You can even see it in the pricing.

Spectrapure has two sensors, primary and secondary pressure sensor. Avast only one.
Spectrapure Liter Meter peristaltic pump is as good as it gets for reliability. Its durable and external to the sump, and has awesome distance capability.
Well stated :)
Thanks for helping me decide my next ATO too :)

newbie2014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to watch on all of these optical sensor ATOs is making sure nothing interferes with those sensors; like bubbles and floating debris. They don’t function correctly if they’re “ blinded”.

Spectrapure ATO, OTOH, uses pressure switch sensor. So, they’re not affected.

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna give the avast a try
What I have, works awesome and no need of extra reservoir as I pump it directly from RODI container. Using a float switch vs optical sensor as well on high level. They’re pressure sensor on low. My 2 cents...

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 166 61.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.1%
Back