ATO Multiplication

School of Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any bad butt ways to run multiple systems on an ATO system? Basically we have a school fish lab and looking for ways to economically top off 6 separate systems. any help appreciated...

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into spectrapure litermeter 3's. Best way to top off and auto water change in my opinion.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any bad *** ways to run multiple systems on an ATO system? Basically we have a school fish lab and looking for ways to economically top off 6 separate systems. any help appreciated...
Do you mean 6 separate systems. Or 6 connected tanks?
Am trying olto understand your situation

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any bad *** ways to run multiple systems on an ATO system? Basically we have a school fish lab and looking for ways to economically top off 6 separate systems. any help appreciated...

Autotopoff make reliable, economical float switches. As long as the run length/head pressure on the ATO lines isn’t too much, most small power head pumps will move the water you need.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If each tank has a sump then you could use a gravity fed ATO with 6 output lines running to your 6 sump return sections. Each sump would have it’s own float valve. You could then run Tunze or similar ATO to keep your gravity fed reservoir topped off. The reservoir can be as large as you want. You don’t even need automation to refill it if you have a large one you fill manually.

I use a Neptune ATK to keep my stock RSR 250 ATO full (as it is only 8 litres) from my remote RODI reservior. I run the PMUP once a day to keep pump cycling low and extend it’s life. There is no reason you could not build an equivalent gravity fed ATO reservoir with multiple output lines topped up by an automated solution.

All you need to do is clean the float valves in the sumps regularly to stop them gumming up (I clean mine every 6 weeks or so).

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would elaborate on my prior post. Here is what I would do in this situation. Obviously I am making a lot of guesses about your physical setup etc and I am also assuming an Apex to control things. I am assuming you want automation. My suggestion below is effectively an extension of what I personally run.

First I would setup a Neptune Apex.

I then first establish an RODI system with an appropriately sized reservoir. Pressure sensitive solenoid with a float valve controlling the reservoir fill (I.e. auto shutoff via the PSV when the reservoir is full - see KISS below). I would then connect the input line to the RODI via a 12/24V solenoid controlled by the Apex. I would program this to open for x hours once a week. This would automatically fill the RODI reservoir weekly. Tune x depending on your RODI throughput and water needs.

I would then setup an ATO reservoir. This could be anything that holds enough water to fill the 6 tanks once a day. Glass, Brute, whatever works aesthetically. I would install an ATK to keep the ATO reservoir full daily from the RODI reservoir. The ATK and Apex would give me multiple levels of redundancy to prevent overflows. The reason for a separate RODI vs ATO reservoir is to prevent TDS creep in the RODI unit. If your incoming TDS is high you could use a second solenoid on the RODI before the DI membrane to allow you to program a flush cycle via the Apex.

I would then drill an RO line into the base of the ATO reservoir and connect this to an airline manifold. These are very convenient as you have a screw or ball valve to turn each outlet on and off as needed. Good quality stainless versions are easily procured. They are designed for air but work perfectly well for water. Each outlet of the manifold would go to one of the 6 tanks. I would probably glue and seal each outlet as well as the inlet for safety.

In each tank I would install a float valve connected to the ATO line. I would also install an optical low level sensor connected to FMM modules in the Apex with appropriate alerts to protect against a float valve gumming up and stopping.

As this is a school I would also ‘conscript’ the students to help me build this. A great project. I am a big fan of the KISS principle and apart from the Apex itself, I feel this would tick a lot of KISS boxes.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Turtlesteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll 2nd Tastee's initial recommendation for float valves and a gravity feed ATO, if it makes sense in your situation.

You could put a dual float switch system (such as from Autotopoff.com) on each tank, with 6 supply pumps in the same ATO reservoir - still much more affordable than using a controller.

IF all 6 tanks are the same size and configuration the evaporation rates should be nearly the same. So in this case I would use a single ATO (float switch based) that supplies a manifold to refill all 6 tanks at the same rate, and just make minor salinity adjustments on a weekly or biweekly basis.

Steve

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 66 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back