ATO/Overflow Redundancy Idea —Suggestions?

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one remaining major problem for me when on vacation with a housesitter concerns the same manifestation for one of two problems. The symptom is always the same. I can see lots of bubbles on my Nest cam and can hear the return pumps loudly sucking air. There are two likely causes.

Cause #1 is a dirty optical sensor on my ATO. The solution currently used is to have the housesitter revert to top off manually, which might even inadvertently remedy the dirty sensor by accident. I want to take the housesitter out of that equation.

Cause #2 is a clogged or failed overflow. That is more difficult for the housesitter to fix. I would also like to fix that problem remotely.

The way to decide which problem is to have the housesitter look at the water level in the display tank. If high, the second problem. If normal or low, the first. Then, restarting the ATO might fix #1, if the pump runs. If no continuous flow, manual.
The solution I have:

First, place a level sensor on the main display that powers up a second Overflow drain and Tom Aqualifter (or maybe just a second Aqualifter on the same original Overflow with a T splitter? Or sole). If the second Aqualifter has power (WiFi plug will tell me), cut power to the first overflow and then power up the redundant overflow as the alternative.

If the redundant overflow does not have power, then the main tank is at or below normal level, meaning that the ATO has failed. In that event, power off the original ATO, power on the redundant ATO, and voila.

Would this work? Any better solutions? Any possible flaws?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better question would be why your overflow clogged in the first place?

Never had one outright clog where nothing is going into the sump. Are we talking a durso setup here? Single drain pipe.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you give us a picture and/or description of your overflow and ATO set up now?
What you have room for ect....

OP
OP
KenRexford

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better question would be why your overflow clogged in the first place?

Never had one outright clog where nothing is going into the sump. Are we talking a durso setup here? Single drain pipe.
Not the actual overflow. The Aqualifter that creates the siphon occasionally clogs with a piece of algae. Rare, but common enough for concern. That breaks or at least weakens the siphon and hence the overflow capacity.

OP
OP
KenRexford

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you give us a picture and/or description of your overflow and ATO set up now?
What you have room for ect....
In Florida now, live in Ohio. Best I can do is describe.
The overflow is a CPR HOB with two drains, retrofitted to Herbie style. Hard plumbed to sump. Works perfectly except when the Tom’s Aqualifter dies or the tubing between the Aqualifter and the air hole on top of the CPR gets clogged. Rare, but that results in a deteriorating siphon and thus a slowing of the overflow, resulting in high water in the main display. The ATO works to keep the problem from going nuts, but the capacity of excess is barely sufficient.

The ATO is Tunze Osmolator into last chamber of sump, from a Hydrofill 25g (maybe) reservoir. The ATO occasionally fails when gunk gets on the electric eye and doesn’t read the water level decrease. Stays green despite low water.
The manual fix for the former (failed overflow) is to change the tubing, essentially. If Tom died, replace the Aqualifter. It takes shutting down the return pump, switch out tubes, check Tom’s health, prime interior of CPR if needed, then restart.
If ATO fails, temporary solution is to manually refill/top off, longer term to clean off the sensor (harder for housesitter).
The housesitter can get the tank through to my return on problem number two (ATO). The first is the nightmare scenario. Nothing too difficult for me, but try walking this through with a newbie.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the actual overflow. The Aqualifter that creates the siphon occasionally clogs with a piece of algae. Rare, but common enough for concern. That breaks or at least weakens the siphon and hence the overflow capacity.
This is a disaster waiting to happen.
Those overflows that rely on a pump to keep the siphon are bad news.
I use a eshopps single drain overflow and have NEVER had it lose siphon or clog.

For your ATO, get one that doesnt use an optical sensor :)

Fwiw my xp aqua duettos optica sensor hasnt been cleaned since i installed it.....
Do you have alot of splashing where its installed?

OP
OP
KenRexford

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a disaster waiting to happen.
Those overflows that rely on a pump to keep the siphon are bad news.
I use a eshopps single drain overflow and have NEVER had it lose siphon or clog.

For your ATO, get one that doesnt use an optical sensor :)

Fwiw my xp aqua duettos optica sensor hasnt been cleaned since i installed it.....
Do you have alot of splashing where its installed?
I have floaters from the Fuge, perhaps, but I suspect calcium residue or the like.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have floaters from the Fuge, perhaps, but I suspect calcium residue or the like.
I hear lots of good things about this ATO.
No optical sensors.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back