ATO pumps

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchased a JBJ ATO controller and sensors but need a pump to go with it. I have a 29gal reef with a 20gal sump. The reservoir will be at the same level as the sump where it will be filling up so no need for lots of head pressure or anything. What are some affordable recommendations that you guys have? Thanks!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anything about that specific ATO but I'm assuming it just turns an outlet on and off. If head pressure isn't an issue than any pump should work, I personally use a cheap $10 fountain pump from Amazon. It's cheap and moves water quickly enough for my needs, and for the price I can keep a few on hand but I've been using the same one for over a year now.

You're probably already aware of this but make sure you set it up to where it can't start a siphon...I learned that one the hard way.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anything about that specific ATO but I'm assuming it just turns an outlet on and off. If head pressure isn't an issue than any pump should work, I personally use a cheap $10 fountain pump from Amazon. It's cheap and moves water quickly enough for my needs, and for the price I can keep a few on hand but I've been using the same one for over a year now.

You're probably already aware of this but make sure you set it up to where it can't start a siphon...I learned that one the hard way.
Okay, I saw those cheap ones and was gonna go with one just wanted to be sure they would work. This may sound stupid but how exactly do I prevent a back siphon from happening?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure the outlet side of the tubing is above the highest water level of the ATO reservoir that will prevent it from siphoning extra freshwater into the sump. Also make sure there is an air gap (not submerged) on the outlet side so it can't siphon saltwater back into your ATO reservoir.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendation on where to get some reef safe 1/2" black vinyl tubing? I found some on Amazon that says aquarium safe but hasn't been tested in saltwater environments.

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mclendons has clear id tubing or local hardware store....the steel.mesh.flex.stuff can be used too but the clear stuff with some plastic hose clamps will work for your need.

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah. Itll prob dry out between pumps. Lol. Idk your tank or evap but my guess. Is it in a closed cabinet or you have a sump light on?

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah. Itll prob dry out between pumps. Lol. Idk your tank or evap but my guess. Is it in a closed cabinet or you have a sump light on?
Both closed sump and grow light on 12 hrs a night:rolleyes:. Cabinet ventilation is an upgrade coming soon but I don't know how soon

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. ya during the day under your cabinet ...its probably dark so low algae growth. I had my sump light on opposite my tank lights to try and help keep ph up.
I had a coldwater tank i used a holesaw big 1 to holesaw the holes for computer fans. Than i just screwd em in. They already had bracket mounts.
Hths ya man
D

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use clear vinyl tube that I got from lowes ( I don't know how safe it is so I'm not necessarily suggesting it) and mine does actually have a film of what I assume to be algea growing in it (which I never understood since the water is 0tds when it goes into the reservoir). In my case I have a horizontal run that has a low point and water stays in the line there. It allows just enough air through to break siphon without pulling all of the water out of the line. Using black (or any other color tubing) is probably a good idea.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive always topd off by hand. I will start to use an ato here this yr.
I topped off my first saltwater tank by hand that I setup about 15 years ago, and since then I've used an ATO. I've now decided that an ATO is one piece of equipment that I will never have a tank without again. I recently set up a qt tank and I'm probably going to buy an ato for it also.
I don't see any reason it couldn't be hard plumbed but in my case I don't think they make pvc pipe that small

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the garden hose wc trick. Cant wait. LoL

I guess pvc is usually only as small as 1/2"...ive seen people using the tubing for rodi units too.
D

Back