ATO recommendation

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectrapure makes an awesome ATO system. 5 year warranty when I bought mine. Works off of pressure vs optic or float. You can adjust how sensitive you want it. I have it set to 1/10” level change.
Spectrapure has a solid product line, I'm surprised I don't hear about more people talking about them. I just bought their liquid level controller to plumb my ro to my ato. Tunze is great too from what I hear and will be using it to top off my 180.

Duncan Tse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running the tunze nano on a 40 gallon tank with 10 gallon sump for 3 years. Everything's working perfectly

Sonor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze 3155, Have been using them for 8 years now 3 different systems from 25 to 250 gallon systems. Not one failure yet.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using regular old Spectrapure Litermeters since the '90s. There's no floats or sensors. It just adds the amount of water I tell it to, no more, no less. I have to make an occasional seasonal adjustment, but that's it. What I like about it is that fluctuations of the water level not caused by evaporation, like clogged mechanical filter media, or working in the tank, do not call for the Litermeter to add more water. It just adds the set amount broken up into small doses over 24 hours.

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the Aqua Duetto ATO and have no complaints about it other than that the tubing leaked but a little duct tape fixed that. Not sure what size tank you have but if it's smaller I'd steer clear from the Tunze 3152 all I've read online was many negative reviews but on the other hand read many good reviews on the Tunze 3155 osmolator but it's $200.

plasma327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humm.... Seem all like the Tunze.... Until now i always DIY and had good luck but had to have a separate RODI system. I bought the Apex ATK V2... My plan is to totally automate(as much as possible) my tank. I just did get the new Apex system installed and running for a few days now.. I bought a 10 gallon FG cylinder to put in the basement with the Apex ATO inside. I will drill and put a float valve in the top of the cylinder. When the low water alert goes off turn the valve on the RODI fill the tank and be done with it. No carrying water or excessive trickle on the RODI system.

rogersb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
autotopoff.com Been using the same float switch for about 10 years. I use a 190 gph mag pump. I think I've replaced 2 pumps in that time, but I top off with kalkwasser which is hard on pumps. The float switch will build up crud and needs to be cleaned every couple years to work properly.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze 3155 is the gold standard for ATO's. I would not recommend the smaller version though after reading BRS reviews. It seems somewhat prone to failure.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I started the hobby 10 years ago,I have always used the original dual float switch JBJ ato and a aqualifter. Never once failed me.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
autotopoff.com Been using the same float switch for about 10 years. I use a 190 gph mag pump. I think I've replaced 2 pumps in that time, but I top off with kalkwasser which is hard on pumps. The float switch will build up crud and needs to be cleaned every couple years to work properly.

float switch guy here as well.

I recently replaced my tank boss (the relay part) after about 15+ years of service. I haven't replaced the float for several years. My float is in the dark area of the sump so it doesn't seem to collect stuff on it as much. When they stop working for me, they usually don't trigger at all....easy rewire another switch in.

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend the Tunze 3155. I've had one on my 75g for 6 yrs.

Avoid the Tunze 3152, the magnet is too strong and interferes with the float switch I'm my experience. I have since removed the magnet and made my own holder and it works fine...but for the money I should not have to do that...my2cents

Leemcg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely go with the Tunze.
I just switch back to it. Went with a different ATO for my current tank, had issues from day one, then crapped out after 6 months.
With Tunze I’ve never had an issue. They are really the gold standard.

HK Chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a Marine Magic ATO and it works well, you can have a look on below Amazon link.

Twotone24v

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tunze 3155 is a solid choice and extremely reliable. It's nice having the piece of mind of having something tried and true.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back