ATO reservoir question.

1Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to make it taller than the sump and not have the issue of a syphon, making it dump all the RO in the return chamber? I ask because I would like to save on space width wise and use the height of the tank stand instead, thanks.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you have the ATO pump water into the display instead? That might be the easiest.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your ATO reservoir upper level is higher than the water level where it enters your tank then you will create a siphon.

How are you pumping water from the ATO into the tank?

If you use a pump in the ATO like I do (I use a Neptune PMUP) then you can install a siphon break in the line from the pump above the ATO water level. In mine I have a small funnel that I have cut most of the neck off slid down over the siphon break so that the water it sprays out stays contained and falls back into the ATO reservoir.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you hard plumb it, just have the pipework not go any lower on the sump side than the upper level of the ro water in the reservoir. You'll hear it when it tops up, but it's not like it's a constant water trickle noise

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back