ATO sensor location for AIO

DeepDiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting the last essential components together before sweating up and cycling my 75g. I using a FijiCube AIO kit.

I am looking to get an XPAqua duetto ATO. The install diagram shows it installed in sump. My question is for an AIO would i I stall it to monitor the display tank water or in one of the AIO chambers? Any advantage to either? I’m guessing installing it in the center chamber (of three) in the AIO would behave just like a sump?

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting the last essential components together before sweating up and cycling my 75g. I using a FijiCube AIO kit.

I am looking to get an XPAqua duetto ATO. The install diagram shows it installed in sump. My question is for an AIO would i I stall it to monitor the display tank water or in one of the AIO chambers? Any advantage to either? I’m guessing installing it in the center chamber (of three) in the AIO would behave just like a sump?

I have the same ATO on my Nuvo 40. I placed it in the center chamber (the same as the return). Havent noticed many issues with it. There are a few things to pay attention to which may or may not affect you. If run a skimmer in the chamber next to it you have the ensure the water running into the center chamber isnt falling over the sensor, itll register as full and wont kick on the pump. The other issue is that the light constantly flashes blue. I contacted the company which stated it was nothing to worry about. Its indicating that it sensing the water level changing and in AIO systems it happens frequently.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a rule, when it comes to AIO tanks, always put the ATO level sensor in the return section of the back chambers. This is usually the only section in the back of the AIO that will fluctuate due to evaporation.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup my Duetto in located in the middle compartment of my AIO IM 40.

Straasha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a rule, when it comes to AIO tanks, always put the ATO level sensor in the return section of the back chambers. This is usually the only section in the back of the AIO that will fluctuate due to evaporation.
This is not accurate for the Fijicube AIO. I have the 55 gallon kit. I can assure you that the water level in the first chamber and in the display area go up and down at the same rate as the return chamber.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not accurate for the Fijicube AIO. I have the 55 gallon kit. I can assure you that the water level in the first chamber and in the display area go up and down at the same rate as the return chamber.

I am talking about prebuilt, properly designed stock AIO tanks, not aftermarket add on kits... That said, how high do you have the water level in your rear chambers? One would assume the water level in the DT Would be set by the depth of the weir teeth, unless those weir teeth are cut unreasonably deep. Also, that aftermarket kit looks to have only two chambers. I’m guessing that the dividing wall of the two chambers let’s water pass underneath that divider, thus having no chamber with a fixed water height. Most manufactured AIO tanks are baffled in such a way that a number of chambers have fixed water heights in order to run depth sensitive equipment such as protein skimmers. Thus, in prebuilt stock AIO tanks it is the return section that fluctuates.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most manufactured AIO tanks are baffled in such a way that a number of chambers have fixed water heights in order to run depth sensitive equipment such as protein skimmers. Thus, in prebuilt stock AIO tanks it is the return section that fluctuates.

Exactly.

Straasha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am talking about prebuilt, properly designed stock AIO tanks, not aftermarket add on kits... That said, how high do you have the water level in your rear chambers? One would assume the water level in the DT Would be set by the depth of the weir teeth, unless those weir teeth are cut unreasonably deep. Also, that aftermarket kit looks to have only two chambers. I’m guessing that the dividing wall of the two chambers let’s water pass underneath that divider, thus having no chamber with a fixed water height. Most manufactured AIO tanks are baffled in such a way that a number of chambers have fixed water heights in order to run depth sensitive equipment such as protein skimmers. Thus, in prebuilt stock AIO tanks it is the return section that fluctuates.
The Fijicube 55 Gallon has two dividers that force the water from the 1st chamber to go up into the 2nd chamber. If you set the water level in the display to the bottom of the weir teeth, then not enough water flows into the 1st chamber and the 2nd chamber gets pumped dry. After reading your thoughts, let me pick your brain. The water level in my 2nd chamber is about 1 1/2 inches above the 2nd divider. Are you saying I should slowly drain water until the level in the 2nd chamber is the same level as the 2nd divider? Sorry to hijack this thread.

Last edited:

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a picture, specifically the dividing wall? This is what I’m going on based on the Fiji Cube site. But based on your description, of your water level being 1.5” over the divider, this picture may not be accurate.

85EDB2F3-D289-4D0E-90EF-AF690531BE16.jpeg

Straasha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That picture is not accurate. It looks like to divider in this pic between the 1st and 2nd chambers. Ignore the 3rd chamber, it not included in the 55 gallon kit.
AIO_40_Gen_4_4_2048x2048.png

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, so I think the issue that you’re having, is that your pump is too strong to balance the water allowed in by the weir teeth, based on the return section runnimg dry. What pump are you using? If it’s a DC pump, I’d turn the flow down with the controller. If it’s an Ac pump, add a ball valve to that return line to dial down the flow until the flow is balanced. And yes, the water level in that return section IMO ideally should be below that dividing wall by an inch or so. If run that way, you can see how that middle chamber has a fixed height, ideal for placing a skimmer in.

Straasha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have a 520 GPH pump as recommended by FIJI. Last week I installed their 320 GPH pump because the 520 was too much flow. I will try lowering the level and see what happens. Thanks for the help. I truly appreciate it.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sweat! You do use an ATO, right? Once you balance your flow and the water levels in your rear chambers, your ATO sensor, as discussed in this thread, should be placed in your return chamber. :)

Straasha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed enough water to have the level in the second chamber equal to the height of the dividing wall and tuned the return pump a little to match the flow. Unfortunately, the level in the display area was now too low for my taste (which is why I had it high to begin with). I purchased the inTank Surface Skimmer to raise the level in the display area to my liking. I had to use a dremel to extend the teeth because in stock form, it did not flow enough water. So far the ATO is able to keep the levels steady and my Tunze 9004 is much happier. Thanks for the help.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back