ATO Sensor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Neil Sherman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news the magnet is sealed. Now I have to figure out where to put the water outlet rubber tubing. It has to be higher then my reservoir. Wonder if I can put it in the original sump in the back of the tank.
I have my RODI water in a tub next to the sump in the cabinet and if I'm honest the tub sits level with the sump and the tubing simply exits through the top of the tub and the fills from just above the return pump chamber in the sump

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I was wondering why the outlet hose on the Tunze couldn't go in the back in the sump that's
built into the aquarium? It's either that for me or I'll have to get a piece of PVC pipe and mount it upright in the return pump section and stick the hose in it to get it higher then the ATO resorvoir.

Neil Sherman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I was wondering why the outlet hose on the Tunze couldn't go in the back in the sump that's
built into the aquarium? It's either that for me or I'll have to get a piece of PVC pipe and mount it upright in the return pump section and stick the hose in it to get it higher then the ATO resorvoir.
You could do that but you'd need to change out the pump for much more head pressure

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the pump works fine. I have the sensor and hose up in the back for months. I've only had the upgrade sump for about 3 weeks.

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I'll leave the hose up in the back and sensor in the new return pump section and hope for the best. Thanks for all your help.

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong, but if I keep the drain flow constant shouldn't the return pump section stay at the same level. So if I put the sensor there it will never call for water. The back original sump is what goes low from evaporation and needs to be topped off. Isn't that where the sensor should be put?

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Neil Sherman - If you own a #TUNZE ATO 3155 system you can mounting in two place. Toward the top of your tank, or you can mount it like the majority do which is installing in the back side of your sump in the return section.
How many gallons of water do you go through a day as far as evaporation?

I have mined hooked up like this illustration and installed in my return section on my CL-44 Synergy sump.:
hqdefault.jpg

Also for redundancy, I love using the GHL Acryilc rods in your sump with the OS-I Apex optical sensors
GHL Float Switch rod.PNG

Last edited:

Neil Sherman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Neil Sherman - If you own a #TUNZE ATO 3155 system you can mounting in two place. Toward the top of your tank, or you can mount it like the majority do which is installing in the back side of your sump in the return section.
How many gallons of water do you go through a day as far as evaporation?

I have mined hooked up like this illustration and installed in my return section on my CL-44 Synergy sump.:
hqdefault.jpg

Also for redundancy, I love using the GHL Acryilc rods in your sump with the OS-I Apex optical sensors
GHL Float Switch rod.PNG
Hi, I have mine in the return pump section. It was Gary who's raised the initial thread.

Neil Sherman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong, but if I keep the drain flow constant shouldn't the return pump section stay at the same level. So if I put the sensor there it will never call for water. The back original sump is what goes low from evaporation and needs to be topped off. Isn't that where the sensor should be put?
Sort of. You'll still evaporate from the sump, hence why you can top up from the rear sump and the return pump chamber in the sump below

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about the return section in the sump that is built into the E260 or the return pump section on the upgraded sump underneath the tank in the cabinet.. Where my water level changes when it evaporates is in the built in sump on the tank itself. I don't go through that much evaporation. Never really measured. My water level stays constant in the upgraded sump in the cabinet no matter how much evaporates... So I think I need to put the sensor up top in the built in sump that came with the AIO aquarium so the sensor can see the water level going down.

IMG_2562.JPG

IMG_2564.JPG

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sort of. You'll still evaporate from the sump, hence why you can top up from the rear sump and the return pump chamber in the sump below
How can the water level change from the bottom sump if it's being constantly fed from the display tank? It will never go down to set off the sensor unless the drain valve is changed to a lower flow and the return pump is turn up..Then the water will be sucked out of the return pump section faster then it is replaced so the sensor will sense low water level.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my theory doesn't hold up. I put the sensor up in the back of the original sump and the darn ATO goes off every 3 minutes. Not good. So the sensor is going back in the return sump section as suggested. I'm going to work on adjusting the drain flow valve and return pump speed. If I can't get the sensor to kick on when needed I'll manually add water if needed... Thanks for all your help. I really do appreciate it...

Neil Sherman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way I can keep mine balanced and the ATO not going off every couple minutes is to run the water level so it is just going down the overflow

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%

Back