ATO Sensor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the AIO Max E260 with the upgrade sump in the cabinet. Where is the best place to put the Tunze ATO sensor? I have tried the return pump section in the upgrade sump and have tried the right hand side of the sump on the tank itself where the circulating pump is. The sensor would go off every 3-4 minutes. That's not good. Ideas please.

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the AIO Max E260 with the upgrade sump in the cabinet. Where is the best place to put the Tunze ATO sensor? I have tried the return pump section in the upgrade sump and have tried the right hand side of the sump on the tank itself where the circulating pump is. The sensor would go off every 3-4 minutes. That's not good. Ideas please.
Why does the level in your return sump section change so much

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all new to me. Maybe I need to be more patient. I've been trying to find the sweet spot for the in flow vs out and trying to keep the skimmer happy. Is the return sump section the place it should be?

Neil Sherman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine on the back wall of the return pump section. Excuse the mess, I'm mid way through a sump sort out and wore clean up. It's normally a lot more organised I swear [emoji23]
b0e782a9392d62c030d6fcd59cc06658.jpg

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your water goes that high where the sensor is? I see you have a bunch of bio balls in your drain. Do you think they help? Do you have to take them out and rinse them off with rodi water ever?

Last edited:

Neil Sherman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody else care to chime in with a answer on the best spot to put the ATO sensor?
The water level in the return pump section should be 6" so you've only really got the back wall of the return pump chamber

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not looking for a auto shut off.I'm wanting to add water when needed. Whats wrong with the right side wall that separates the drain chamber and return section?

Neil Sherman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not looking for a auto shut off.I'm wanting to add water when needed. Whats wrong with the right side wall that separates the drain chamber and return section?
Sorry Gary, I didn't explain myself clearly. You'd ideally like to keep as many magnets out the water as possible. In yellow is my ATO sensor that controls the top up when the level drops. The red is the emergency shut off float. Hope that makes sense.
6e30646287b7e3b8d25563b4695abc04.jpg

Neil Sherman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those bio balls and do you find that the water draining in breaks them apart. I'm talking about these. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/marinepure-ceramic-biomedia-1-1-2-spheres.html
That's the one mate. No the flow doesn't break them up. Doesn't show it well in the picture but I have them sat in an egg crate box I made for easy removal. Also use marine pure block in place of the baffle sponge too, that does get very flakey but to be honest it is never moved and I'm not planning on moving so isn't an issue

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you show me what you mean by egg crate box and why and how often do you have to remove them? Thanks

Neil Sherman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you show me what you mean by egg crate box and why and how often do you have to remove them? Thanks
I've only had to move them from the skimmer chamber to the initial entry chamber but it was a nightmare and took forever to move them individually so I made the egg crate basket but simply cutting the individual sides that would make up the box and that would then fit in the chamber and then pieced them together using cable ties. In theory I shouldn't ever have to move them again as they should remain in place as part of the tanks filtration, much like live rock.
304d5d96757e7bb2ae67d2ab9a8f87d2.jpg

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my sump is right up against the back wall and can't come forward at all. So the magnet will not fit in there. What is bad about it being in the water?.Is it because it's metal and will screw up my water?

Neil Sherman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my sump is right up against the back wall and can't come forward at all. So the magnet will not fit in there. What is bad about it being in the water?.Is it because it's metal and will screw up my water?
You should be able to pull it away enough to fit the magnet behind there. As long as your using the tunze magnet which is sealed pretty well and you keep an eye on it you *shouldn't* come across any issues. I just have had issues with crappy magnets rusting out on me and appearing in an ICP test. Like I say, the tunze magnet is solid and as long as you keep an eye on it you should be fine.

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news the magnet is sealed. Now I have to figure out where to put the water outlet rubber tubing. It has to be higher then my reservoir. Wonder if I can put it in the original sump in the back of the tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back