ATO system

ReefRyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at a ATO system called Hydro fill. I currently have a 25-gallon lagoon Innovative Marine saltwater aquarium and I am looking for a ATO system. Does anybody currently have this ATO system? And also how well is it working for you? I'm looking to get thoughts, opinions and feedback please!

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have that ATO. I run the tunze osmolator 3155 and it works awesome and is reliable. Tunze is good quality and a reliable product. They make a Nano version that’s cheaper but still tunze quality.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the product page on Marine Depot

I believe it has been totally discontinued.

The pump is self priming and also has a built in check valve that keeps it from siphoning water into the ATO reservoir. It's an air pump system so it may make a little more noise than other ATO's but my Tunze nano osmolator is pretty loud itself, so this can't be much louder if it is.

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one for sale on the saltwateraquarium.com site: https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/h...ovative-marine-used-open-box-customer-return/

Use coupon code "sold" or "sold!" to get 10% off of the current markdown price. (I'm not affiliated with them btw, I just shop there often and several of my smaller things for my aquarium have been bought through their clearance/open box deals, it's way cheaper than paying the new price for something :D )

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have that ATO. I run the tunze osmolator 3155 and it works awesome and is reliable. Tunze is good quality and a reliable product. They make a Nano version that’s cheaper but still tunze quality.

I also use and swear by the Tunze osmolator 3155! has never done me wrong. I have no clue how I went without it on my first reef tank

OP
OP
ReefRyan

ReefRyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback! I have a question for you that use the Tunze osmolator 3155/ nano. Is there a safety switch or timer that will allow the pump to turn off once it's past the high-level so I don't create an overflow of water in my display tank? I'm not worried about back siphoning into my ATO Reservoir I'm more worried about taking everything out of the ATO Resevoir and putting it into the display tank

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the Nano version has a float switch that turns the pump off once it’s at the level you set it at. And it won’t back siphon the ato tube isn’t in the water. The osmolator 3155 has a float switch and optical eye for water level.

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback! I have a question for you that use the Tunze osmolator 3155/ nano. Is there a safety switch or timer that will allow the pump to turn off once it's past the high-level so I don't create an overflow of water in my display tank? I'm not worried about back siphoning into my ATO Reservoir I'm more worried about taking everything out of the ATO Resevoir and putting it into the display tank
Yes, they both have built in float switches but the 3155 has an additional optical sensor that gives the whole unit a two step safety feature and will prevent any overflows.

OP
OP
ReefRyan

ReefRyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you my fellow reefers I have decided to go with tunze osmolatar 3155!

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth the extra money for sure. Peace of mind and not having to manually top off is an awesome feeling and helps keep parameters more stable. I just use a five gallon bucket for my reservoir.

OP
OP
ReefRyan

ReefRyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I going to be using a 10gallon tank that i got from petco. Gotta love their 1$gallon sale !!

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That always works nice. I always have in the back of my mind if the ato fails while on and drains the whole reservoir can your tank handle 10 extra gallons?

OP
OP
ReefRyan

ReefRyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it would not handle the extra 10 gallons. I have thought of that too. So I also have thought about stepping down to a 5 gallon. I rather have 5 gallons spill into the floor rather than 10 gallons tho.

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah definitely a thought to consider. I couldn’t see this ATO failing but things happen ya know. Routine maintenance for me consist of checking all equipment weekly. But for the ATO I look at daily just to be safe.

jml1149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might consider getting a 5 gallon bucket with a lid, or a 5g water jug with a plug to cover your ATO reservoir. It's standing water, I wouldn't want any nasties falling into it and rotting into something unsightly. The Home Depot near me sells both the orange ones cheap, but also white grauated buckets so I can track how much water is being topped off when necessary, such as calculating kalk dosages before I switched to a peristaltic pump. Or they sell plain white ones which look a little nicer if this bucket is going to be visible.

PopaSmurph

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hands down recommend AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro. It's plug and play, no float switches, fail safe, and comes with every thing but the resivor. I literally had full trust in this ato after the first use. You put the optical eye at water level and say it fills for 4 seconds the fail safe kicks in at 12 seconds I believe. It calibrates every time you plug it in and the fail safe I think is 3x the first fill time. I use it on my 29 Gallon but I would trust it on a 1 gallon.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back