ATO with High AND Low Water Level Sensor???

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any ATO systems that have a high and low water level sensor? All seem to have the high water level sensor but thinking I don’t want my RODI kicking on every time the water levels drops a tad below the high water level sensor. Would prefer to wait until the water level drops down to the low water level sensor and then fill it up to the high water level sensor.

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any ATO systems that have a high and low water level sensor? All seem to have the high water level sensor but thinking I don’t want my RODI kicking on every time the water levels drops a tad below the high water level sensor. Would prefer to wait until the water level drops down to the low water level sensor and then fill it up to the high water level sensor.
Don’t think there is but I’m sure with the Apex ATK you can code it do do something like that.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most high quality ATOs are programmed such that when the low water level is triggered, it dispenses a set amount of water. It’s not like the ATO will trigger and cycle constantly based on evaporation just below the low level sensor because when it fills, it will fill well above the low level sensor yet below the emergency high level sensor. The high water level sensor is just an emergency sensor if the system ever malfunctions and overfills for any reason.

Note that when I‘m referring to a high quality ATO, I’m referring to something like a Tunze 3155 or.
a Spectrapure UPLC-ATO.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you looking to control water levels with it in your sump or the ato reservoir itself?

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most high quality ATOs are programmed such that when the low water level is triggered, it dispenses a set amount of water. It’s not like the ATO will trigger and cycle constantly based on evaporation just below the low level sensor because when it fills, it will fill well above the low level sensor yet below the emergency high level sensor. The high water level sensor is just an emergency sensor if the system ever malfunctions and overfills for any reason.

Note that when I‘m referring to a high quality ATO, I’m referring to something like a Tunze 3155 or.
a Spectrapure UPLC-ATO.
But that is my point. Seems like most ATO’s don’t have a low water sensor. Only the high. For example the Tunze 3155 seems to have an optical eye and a float switch. But they seem to be for when the water drops below the sensor eye, it kicks on the RODI and fills it up until the eye senses the water level. The float seems to be just for redundancy in case the eye malfunctions. Thanks

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you looking to control water levels with it in your sump or the ato reservoir itself?
More so the ATO res. The sump can have just the high level sensor as that will be fed from the ATO res. But the ATO res will be fed from the RODI unit so I don’t want it kicking on when the water in the ATO drops just below the eye. Would prefer that it hold off filling the ATO until the majority of the water is exhausted.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a spectrapure liquid level control which does exactly that, and it does it very well.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More so the ATO res. The sump can have just the high level sensor as that will be fed from the ATO res. But the ATO res will be fed from the RODI unit so I don’t want it kicking on when the water in the ATO drops just below the eye. Would prefer that it hold off filling the ATO until the majority of the water is exhausted.
I have a 20gal ato that only calls for water around 2 gallons remaining until it's full at 20.

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20gal ato that only calls for water around 2 gallons remaining until it's full at 20.
Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. Just thought there might be an ATO that had that as part of the setup. Thanks.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an Apex? If so, I’d grab a couple Avast pressure switches and program them via break out box to fill your ATO reservoir through a solenoid valve. I’m a big fan of pressure switches as they’re much more reliable than mechanical float switches. If you do not have an Apex, then the above referenced Spectrapure dual float solenoid assembly would work well.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use this one, love it.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. Just thought there might be an ATO that had that as part of the setup. Thanks.
I haven't seen any. That thing is simplicity to install and piece together. I like that you don't need a separate controller to be dependant on.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the Avast Barrel Tender...

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use this one, love it.
Yes, I had seen this, in fact at one point Autoaqua had one called Smart RODI ATO which was exactly what I was looking for. Had both a high and low level sensor. But can’t find it anymore and not sure what’s going on with Autoaqua since a lot of their products seem to be discontinued or not available. So don’t want to invest in a product if the company isn’t going to be around to support it.

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an Apex? If so, I’d grab a couple Avast pressure switches and program them via break out box to fill your ATO reservoir through a solenoid valve. I’m a big fan of pressure switches as they’re much more reliable than mechanical float switches. If you do not have an Apex, then the above referenced Spectrapure dual float solenoid assembly would work well.
No Apex. I may get one down the road or also the Hydros seems like it has potential. But also don’t want all my eggs In one basket with a controller, so like the fact that I can have redundancy without relying on a controller.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Apex. I may get one down the road or also the Hydros seems like it has potential. But also don’t want all my eggs In one basket with a controller, so like the fact that I can have redundancy without relying on a controller.

Gotcha, then take a look at that Avast barrel tender. It‘s specifically designed for exactly what you’re trying to accomplish and Avast pressure switches are extremely reliable.

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the Avast Barrel Tender...

Interesting. Will do some research on this as well, thanks.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are developing a Raspberry PI driven ATO, AWO, with leak detection, web graphing and text notifications, with pump shut off for low water and high water.

On the 3rd version now close to Beta testing.

:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am developing a Raspberry PI driven ATO, AWO, with leak detection, web graphing and text notifications, with pump shut off for low water and high water.

On the 3rd version now close to Beta testing.

:)
Sounds like something that is needed in the hobby. Again Autoaqua had an ATO/awc device that managed awc as well as ATO all in one. Seemed to be a smart product but you can’t get it anymore and places that have it have it labeled as discontinued so not sure if Autoqua is in financial trouble or what. Good luck!

Back