Attaching an auto feeder

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I just got a nice Clear View Lids mesh top for my red sea XL300 tank. I have an Ehiem auto feeder which normally clamps to the rimless top of the tank. I was wondering how those of you with mesh Lids on your rimless tanks are attaching or setting up your auto feeders now? The screen is wide enough for the pellets to fall through bot the flush fit of the lid top prevents normal attachment of the auto feeder to the tank. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank against a wall? Can you make a small plexi shelf off the back wall and have the pellets just drop? If not, you can probably have the lid sent back and have them make a custom cutout. If the lid is a continuous frame that was CNC'd then maybe that is not possible. Can always shoot them an email.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank against a wall? Can you make a small plexi shelf off the back wall and have the pellets just drop? If not, you can probably have the lid sent back and have them make a custom cutout. If the lid is a continuous frame that was CNC'd then maybe that is not possible. Can always shoot them an email.

Yea, they could probably cut a small notch in the plexiglass to allow for the feeder to attach.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe build a small wooden frame to sit on top of the tank that you can clip the eheim feeder to?

This was kind of what I was thinking using a piece of 1x2 to attach the feeder to. Not very cosmetically appealing but maybe functional.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I just got a nice Clear View Lids mesh top for my red sea XL300 tank. I have an Ehiem auto feeder which normally clamps to the rimless top of the tank. I was wondering how those of you with mesh Lids on your rimless tanks are attaching or setting up your auto feeders now? The screen is wide enough for the pellets to fall through bot the flush fit of the lid top prevents normal attachment of the auto feeder to the tank. Any suggestions are appreciated.
With Eheim auto feeders and mesh tops, I just place the autofeeder on the side of the mesh lid itself, provided there is enough space for the base of the Eheim auto-feeder to sit on it stably. XD

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With Eheim auto feeders and mesh tops, I just place the autofeeder on the side of the mesh lid itself, provided there is enough space for the base of the Eheim auto-feeder to sit on it stably. XD
I was thinking about setting it on the overflow box like this :p

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try it out and see if that works. :D

Dunno about other auto-feeders, but I have had multiple Eheim auto-feeders throughout my life and because I am lazy and/or need to move them, I kinda have always done this and it seemed to have always worked. XD

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You're right, I just remembered you can remove the screw attachments base so the feeder is basically flat and will sit nicely on the overflow box.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to do this until I realised how much of the food instantly was sucked down to my roller filter and wasted. Most pellets sink quickly but the ones that don’t are gone instantly.

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to do this until I realised how much of the food instantly was sucked down to my roller filter and wasted. Most pellets sink quickly but the ones that don’t are gone instantly.
Try a feeding ring - it will keep the pellets in one place until they eventually sink or get eaten!

bdouglas119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1626281198631.png

I made an acrylic bracket that holds it over the tank, initially i had it sitting on the overflow but i realized that most of the pellets just flow down the drain.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back