Attending First Large Hobby Event - Help Me Budget

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be attending Reef-a-Palooza Chicago in October, and it will be my first time attending a large-scale hobby-related event. In preparation, I want your help preparing my budget. No pressure. Seriously.

My grow-out tank is almost full; I have a few spots left for 3”x3” tiles. Once those spots are taken, it’s time to let everything grow. Since I’ve never been to an event like Reef-a-Palooza, I don’t quite know what to expect as an average hobbyist with a budget of $300.

I’m currently growing out SPS frags of Walt Disney, Solar Flare, Homewrecker, Pink Floyd, Green Slimer, Pink Lemonade, et al. I also have some LPS frags, such as an Australian gold torch, Micromussa lordhowensis, Homophyllia australis, different chalices, Goniopora, and a beautiful Acanthastrea echinata. All of the corals that I have will be for my future display, and I’d like to sell frags of some that are easily propagated to fund new purchases.

With that said, I don’t know whether $300 is a sufficient amount of money for corals that aren’t high-end collector pieces. I’m interested in a few more frags, such as basic, but beautiful Micromussa, maybe a Cherry Bomb Acropora (if it’s for a good price), a Blastomussa, and whatever else may catch my eyes.

For reference, I can get some beautiful corals from a local shop, which can be seen below with their respective prices.

$300
707E98D2-DC12-49CD-AA38-BAB9E9A616BB.jpeg

$300
EC396FCB-DE59-4215-A904-F97F0A1D6961.jpeg

$100
F673B650-E9DD-4DDB-A61E-46A5F009086A.jpeg

$100
60CBAD2F-B17C-49C4-9DD4-66F8C50FD3F2.jpeg

$25
7BD3BF71-CE27-4F4E-B51C-ACD3BB71FDB2.jpeg

$25
10A0694A-6F7D-4001-91AC-A13FAD47622F.jpeg

Are prices at large shows, such as Reef-a-Palooza similar to those above? It will depend on the coral, obviously, but for a typical hobbyist with a $300 budget that isn’t looking for a haul of high-end pieces, will I be able to get corals that are similar to those above with respect for their relative prices?

I am looking forward to attending the event, and I’m grateful for any thoughts, recommendations, advice, and experiences that you share.

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know about American shows but when I was at reefstock Sydney I brought about $300 and spent about $300. However I got everything I wanted and more. Essentially what worked for me is going with a few key things you want to look at and looking but not buying other things eg I looked a lot at the expensive ricordia but couldn’t afford it or house it due to size so I didn’t get it, I also saw a amaizing anemone that I couldn’t afford but if I could of.... it was $2000

Essentially have a idea of what you want to buy and look around at different stores before buying somthing. Eg I saw a red scrolling Montipora frag for $100 and $120 I went with the 120. I saw a stylophpra frag that to me looked identical to another at a different stall one was $300 one was $10 you can guess which I went with but this will always happen
B210CEA1-411F-46A1-A943-308EFDC2F239.jpeg

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help you with your budget? Do I get half your money when we get divorced?

Just spend what you are comfortable with +50%

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know about American shows but when I was at reefstock Sydney I brought about $300 and spent about $300. However I got everything I wanted and more. Essentially what worked for me is going with a few key things you want to look at and looking but not buying other things eg I looked a lot at the expensive ricordia but couldn’t afford it or house it due to size so I didn’t get it, I also saw a amaizing anemone that I couldn’t afford but if I could of.... it was $2000

Essentially have a idea of what you want to buy and look around at different stores before buying somthing. Eg I saw a red scrolling Montipora frag for $100 and $120 I went with the 120. I saw a stylophpra frag that to me looked identical to another at a different stall one was $300 one was $10 you can guess which I went with but this will always happen
B210CEA1-411F-46A1-A943-308EFDC2F239.jpeg
Thank you for sharing your experience. I’m sure that I’ll have a difficult time not being distracted by the plethora of corals.
Help you with your budget? Do I get half your money when we get divorced?

Just spend what you are comfortable with +50%
Well, my I’ll probably have to sell my system to pay an attorney if I get divorced. ;)

I’m comfortable spending $300, which is why I saved that to take with me. I could spend that at local shops today, but I was unsure of whether there would be better prices on similar corals at a large show, such as Reef-a-Palooza. For example, would one of the Micromussa frags for $25 in the photos above typically be around that price, or is it typical for them to be $15–20?

Maybe I’m just analyzing the situation too much and should just go see what there is. I wanted to ask because when I see content from other hobbyists that attend large events, they seem to walk out with, and show off, their expensive purchases. That led me to wonder whether there are frags for $15-20 at these shows. The content that I have seen has made me think that they are much, much different than local frag swaps/shows.

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your in for a surprise you will probably walk away with more then you think with a 300$ budget theres great deals and prices at RAPNY I noticed vendors are pretty competitive with prices and a lot of them have frag pack deals 6frags 50$, buy their frag carrier fill it for 100$ Take your time walk around first ask questions get a feel for what everyone has and don’t be afraid to make a deal

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There will not be better prices than at the local store that you posted. I have been honing to large shows since they first started 30 years ago. What you get is a wide selection of corals. With 100 + vendors you will find a color or size of a coral that you might not see. But you are not going to find 5 dollar corals. Many vendors travel long distant and pay good money for a booth so cheap prices are not found.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
300 is a large budget for these events. You'll be able to get a lot, or some high end treasures.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your in for a surprise you will probably walk away with more then you think with a 300$ budget theres great deals and prices at RAPNY I noticed vendors are pretty competitive with prices and a lot of them have frag pack deals 6frags 50$, buy their frag carrier fill it for 100$ Take your time walk around first ask questions get a feel for what everyone has and don’t be afraid to make a deal
Wow, 5 for $60? At most local shops, I can get only two, but typically only one for that price.

I’m hoping to have patience so that I can look around before purchasing. I’d hate to find a coral that I want and not get it for fear of a cheaper one down the line, only to have it sold when I go back for it. Have you ran into that?

There will not be better prices than at the local store that you posted. I have been honing to large shows since they first started 30 years ago. What you get is a wide selection of corals. With 100 + vendors you will find a color or size of a coral that you might not see. But you are not going to find 5 dollar corals. Many vendors travel long distant and pay good money for a booth so cheap prices are not found.
That definitely makes sense to me. I don’t expect them to lose money, and I don’t want them to. I am excited to colors and patterns that I may have not yet come across. It seems that the shops that are local to me tend to stock the same items, which I already have. So, it’ll be nice to see different corals in person rather than ordering from a WYSIWYG section of a website.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
300 is a large budget for these events. You'll be able to get a lot, or some high end treasures.
Maybe I’ll be able to finally snag a Cherry Bomb then. But my wife loves LPS corals. It’s already a struggle and it’s still more than a month away. :)

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We get really excited about these events. The prices are more hobbyist friendly. No shipping fees are a plus!

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter what you will enjoy the experience. Take a walk around & ask questions, many vendors will hold a frag till you leave if paid for. Have a good time.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey nick how's the WB 100.3 coming? i have never been to a aquarium trade show so cant help there I would take the money but dont feel pressure to spend it if you have a good LFS.

I am with your wife love LPS

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey nick how's the WB 100.3 coming? i have never been to a aquarium trade show so cant help there I would take the money but dont feel pressure to spend it if you have a good LFS.

I am with your wife love LPS
I’ll have to update my thread this week. It’s quite different than I left it according to my thread. I’ve made a significant amount of changes, so I’ll document them when I find some downtime; I’m traveling for work, and I’m certain that I’ll be bored in the hotel.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my show budget I take what I feel comfortable spending.

Then I take another $1000 just Incase I run across a deal of a lifetime. That money stays in the truck. I learned my lesson about not going to selling events overly prepared.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my show budget I take what I feel comfortable spending.

Then I take another $1000 just Incase I run across a deal of a lifetime. That money stays in the truck. I learned my lesson about not going to selling events overly prepared.
My wife did give me the okay to get a Trident if I happen to be lucky enough to come across one. :)

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe you will win one!? good vibes that you do!
Thank you!

I don’t know when this hobby turned into an addiction for me, but it’s the most fun that I’ve ever had with any hobby. I hope it continues for decades.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did it go?
Well, it went better than I had expected. I was able to take more than I anticipated, and my wife did not file for divorce (yet). ;)

Since it was my first large event, my wife expected me to spend more than what we budgeted, so that was a nice gesture. However, I’m now done buying corals for quite some time. I don’t like spending the money that some corals demand, but I do enjoy the coloration that some have.

So, here is my haul:

TSA Bill Murray
C6F2D0A5-BCF6-4511-94AD-EC21F66E092B.jpeg

TSA Princess Peach
479770AB-1491-46CE-8337-1371D6794187.jpeg

TGC Cherry Bomb
AF556D16-C67D-4D84-B670-049461C2B13B.jpeg

TSA Rainbow Fusion
F324A7F5-5348-4172-89AE-F38B6CE36526.jpeg

JF Jolt
D99B1759-2AC7-41E4-B458-06F9B98C822C.jpeg

I went overboard when compared to what I planned on spending, but I had fun and don’t regret it. :)

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 197 70.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 52 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back