ATTENTION OPINIONATED REEFERS! Announcing the R2R community tank!

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You heard me right, I'll put my money where your mouth is!

I'm not affiliated with R2R. I'm just a long time community member who has seen and read it all. I'm hoping to get the mods and @revhtree onboard with this and make it genuinely official.

Background:

I've been in the aquarium hobby for around 17 years. I made my entry into FW and eventually ended up here about 4 years ago. I am detail oriented, long winded, scientifically focused, and overly oppinionated myself. I'm going to put everything I've learned over the past 4 years aside, and let all of you take the wheel.

It sounds like you're just passing the work off to us! What's in it for me?

A sense of community and belonging to something greater than yourself?....No, not cutting it? Fine. If you've made good faith participations in the main thread, and the tank happens to fail, I'm giving away all of the gear and frags free of charge! You just pay for shipping and I will mail it to you, absolutely free. The tank and stand will be local pick up only for logistical reasons, and participants will be chosen at random, based on active participation in the main thread.

If it succeeds, free frags and bragging rights. Same terms and shipping apply.

So how does this work?:

Great question! This is "Twitch Plays Pokemon." I've started over with a blank slate, comprised of what I believe is the most agreed upon setup by the average R2R memeber, overall. This is based on my 4 years of research and time scouring the forum.

Each week, I will create a poll/polls, based on commented suggestions to vote on the next course of action. Simply cast your vote and I will link it back to the main thread. You all have complete control over this tank and how it's run (within reason). If an "expert" chimes in with an oppinion, in the form of a comment on the poll, they will automatically be awarded 10% of the poll's result. This is to keep the polls honest and to prevent irrepariable damage to the system. Who is an "expert?" If you have your own section of the forum, you are an expert.

If this takes off, I also plan on a 24/7 live stream of the tank itself, which all memebers can view, in the very near future.

What's the setup?:

Again, this is the culmination of years of browsing the forum, and the most recommended price to performance gear overall.

IM Nuvo 20 AIO (IM comes highly recommended time and time again, although this is an AIO nano reef)
(2) AI Prime 16HD (Always a crowd favorite)
AI Nero 3 Wavemaker
Aqueal 200w connected to an Inkbird for double redundancy of stuck on overheat failure
IM Desktop Media Reactor (currently running Rox 0.8)
Simplicity 4 head dosing pump dosing hybrid balling on 3 heads (1 is still open)
Tunze Osmolator 3155 with upgraded pump
Avast Plank Feeder filled with Reef Jerky
Live Ocean Rock via livegulfrock.com
Fiji Pink sand (I would have preferred Ocean Direct, but it wasn't available, and the 2 are recommended 50/50)

There is a lot more equipment I have at my disposal which is not listed here. We can vote on changes to the tank and this setup.

But how are you testing all of this?

Hanna Egg Checkers:
dKH
Ca
Po4
No3

USB Apogee Wand
Quarterly Triton ICP

So...what are we actually in control of?

Again, everything within reason. You will have total control of the nutrients, lighting, macro and micro elements, dosing, flow, equipment....you name it! This is a true community reef tank and I will do everything in my power to accomodate your requests.

Then what's the catch?

I am just a guy. I believe the reef keeping has reached a point where it's become accessible to most people, and that's great. I also have been around long enough to know some of the "oppinions" floating around the community, so I'll just lay them out right now.

"You can't grow corals with LEDs, you need T5/MH." Thank you for your input, we're still running the Primes.
"Ditch the Primes and pick up an XR30." Mail me one, and we'll put it to a poll.
"Nanos are doomed from the start. You need atleast 75g." I have no doubt that it's a more stable system, but plenty of nano reefers exist so :p
"You shouldn't be dosing anything. WCs are enough for nanos." That might be true for you GSP and mushrooms, but we will continue to supplement macro elements in some form.

Here are a few more things I cannot compromise on:

Plank feeder: This has greatly impacted how regularly my tank gets feed
WC schedule: 3g monthly. I purchase my RO in this quantity (with 0 TDS).
Stocking: My fish stay. We can add to the list but I'm not dropping anyone (see stocking below)
LPS and Softie Mixed Reef. I have no intention of adding SPS again at this time.

That's it. I can pretty much purchase anything else we decide as a community to change.

WHAT'S IN THE BOX?!

Glad you asked. We currently have:

2 Oc. Clowns
1 Purple Firefish
1 Cerulean Damsel
1 Fire Shrimp
1 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Tuxedo urchin
Misc CUC (snail/hermit mix)

Corals (arriving next week)
4 Hammers
1 DBZ Chalice
2 Acans
17 Assorted Zoas

Conclusion:

I put about 2 hours into this thread, so at the very least, I hope that inspires some confidence in my dedication of this project. I hope it inspires the community as well. I'm going to end it with a couple of shots of the tank and setup.

HAPPY REEFING!

20240524_020453.jpg
20240524_020445.jpg
20240524_020338.jpg
20240524_020305.jpg
20240524_020259.jpg
20240524_020253.jpg
20240524_020246.jpg

Last edited:

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmmm
so if I say you need new lights you go out and buy them for the tank . Or if I say buy this fish you go and buy it If the poll says yes I hope you have plenty of cash in your pocket. What if everyone says you need a tank upgrade do you go out and buy one . I like the idea but would I just be better buying and setting up another tank myself and I don’t have to ask a poll . You’re doing a build thread with a poll .

Last edited:
OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first polls are up! Let your voice be heard!

dKH

Par

Salinity

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmmm
so if I say you need new lights you go out and buy them for the tank . Or if I say buy this fish you go and buy it If the poll says yes I hope you have plenty of cash in your pocket. What if everyone says you need a tank upgrade do you go out and buy one . I like the idea but would I just be better buying and setting up another tank myself and I don’t have to ask a poll . You’re doing a build thread with a poll .
It's a community based tank, run by community input. I gave very clear and concise guidelines on what was allowed and disallowed.

This isn't a poll based build thread, as you called it, and I feel that all of your questions would be answered by reading the post.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a community based tank, run by community input. I gave very clear and concise guidelines on what was allowed and disallowed.

This isn't a poll based build thread, as you called it, and I feel that all of your questions would be answered by reading the post.

This is why we can't have nice things.
Yes but it’s so long winded I fell asleep halfway through. Sorry

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you want to run this tank based on the recommendations and suggestions from other forum members?

That’s probably how 75% of people on the forum are running their tanks lol

I don’t really understand the purpose of this, not being rude, just don’t understand the overall goal. and yes I read the post in entirety

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 68 44.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 71 46.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.6%
Back